Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment too hot

Options
  • 27-05-2018 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi all,

This is just a quick one to anyone who knows anything about like landlord obligations or what they should and shouldn't provide.

So basically I have a skylight with loads of window space. With the sun as of recently my apartment has actually become unbearable to live in. The heat is completely immense. The air is almost thick and hard to breath. Anything left out i.e. milk or any food is useless after 30 minutes. Because the heat is so bad and I'm not exaggerating. I literally can't have a meal without being a sweaty mess. It's really horrible. So my question is. Does my landlord have any like obligations to assist me or laws he has to abide by with trying to combat this? Like helping me cover the skylight. I mean my home is an oven. I'm at the top of a building so it's horrible.

Any advice on this is honestly really appreciate.

Kind regards.
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Can you not open a couple of windows and let some air circulate around to cool the place down?
    If you put milk back in the fridge after using it won't go off so quickly.
    No obligation on landlords behalf to provide curtains or blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

Probably better suit to Accommodation/Property forum.

Lived in an apartment like that and no amount of opening windows will help.
    The sun would be cooking the place since sun rise.

OP the landlord is not responsible for cooling you down.
    You could contact them for permission to put up blinds or head of to Currys and buy up a Dyson fan.
    http://www.currys.ie/category/cooling/396.4.1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You can buy a portable air conditioning unit. They are great but make a terrible racket. You'd never manage to hear the TV with it running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

If it's just velux windows block the glass up with flattened cardboard boxes and masking tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

At the moment they have air con systems for hotels that run on water going into hotels. It won’t be long before they start putting them in houses instead of boilers. Amazing system. Doubt it’ll be cheap fix though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

Open windows, buy a fan, put milk back in the fridge when you're not using it... ?

Advertisement