Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transporting kids bikes, any experience?

Options
  • 27-05-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have 2 new kids bikes that won't any longer fit inside our cars, Renault Fluence and Megane HB.

Has anyone any experience with either rooftop or hatchback racks that you could recommend please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a halfords 3 bike rack (2 bike) that is adjustable for different shaped rear ends on hatchbacks/estates and saloons.
    It works well. Holds 2 bikes comfortably and 3 if you place them carefully.
    I have seen a few on peoples cars that don't look safe at all though due to poor fitting and rigging, bear in mind on bad roads like W Cork they can come loose if not checked regularly.
    I fit, drive a mile and check. Drive 10 miles and check and then keep a good eye on it through the journey.
    I'd prefer the towbar mounted type personally having both.
    Roof mounts are a bit awkward in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

CJhaughey wrote:
    I have a halfords 3 bike rack (2 bike) that is adjustable for different shaped rear ends on hatchbacks/estates and saloons. It works well. Holds 2 bikes comfortably and 3 if you place them carefully. I have seen a few on peoples cars that don't look safe at all though due to poor fitting and rigging, bear in mind on bad roads like W Cork they can come loose if not checked regularly. I fit, drive a mile and check. Drive 10 miles and check and then keep a good eye on it through the journey. I'd prefer the towbar mounted type personally having both. Roof mounts are a bit awkward in my view.

Thanks for that, will check them out so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Towbar + bike mount is by far the best solution as it takes seconds to attach and doesn't touch the cars paint work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

mullingar wrote: »
    Towbar + bike mount is by far the best solution as it takes seconds to attach and doesn't touch the cars paint work

+1 Thule do lovely simple racks for tow hitches... on in less than 10 seconds rock solid.

Advertisement