Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise to Maynooth commuting - doable?

Options
  • 26-05-2018 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Anyone have any thoughts/experience on commuting from Portlaoise (or places like Kildare, Newbridge, Naas etc) to Maynooth?

I'm currently going from Laois to South County Dublin so I'm used to the distance and (significant) costs involved, but the trip above - while a bit shorter in mileage terms - would involve a bit of cross-country whereas it's currently motorway all the way.

Any preferred or recommended routes, any bottlenecks to be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

You're obviously aware of the current roadworks on going around Naas but my initial thoughts would be getting off at Kill and heading to Maynooth from there. The road surface is good that way. I've found the roads around Monasterevin heading to Maynooth to be ****e tbh. Less traffic mind you but there's a reason why.

Sallins to Clane can be grand depending on your timing. It's terrible during peak hours, again you're prob already aware of this from your current commute past Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As above K, if it were me, I'd be getting off either at the Naas south exit, and heading for clane via Sallins, or getting off the N7 at exit 7 (Kill/Straffan) and heading to Maynooth that way.

The queues for the Naas south exit can be a bit of a bastard at times tbh, but what with the on going roadworks, so too can the queues to the Kill turn off.

I assume there's no Portlaoise to Maynooth train?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As above K, if it were me, I'd be getting off either at the Naas south exit, and heading for clane via Sallins, or getting off the N7 at exit 7 (Kill/Straffan) and heading to Maynooth that way.

The queues for the Naas south exit can be a bit of a bastard at times tbh, but what with the on going roadworks, so too can the queues to the Kill turn off.

No, no train unfortunately.. I'm guessing it wouldn't be much cheaper anyway even if there was, and I need the car at the weekend so will be running it regardless.

I'll try both route options in the next few days and see how it looks.. I normally leave my place around 9 and can be in SoCo Dublin by 10ish, so hopefully it'd work out around the same but we'll see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Current best route is Naas South (jct 10) off M7 - as you'll be taking the 1st exit at top of ramp you'll be on the inside lane which is relatively clear most of the time - then towards carragh, Clane, barberstown and Maynooth.

Probably an hour assuming no traffic holdups.

If traffic is free flowing, the other route is M7/N7 to straffan junction. Straffan, barberstown, Maynooth.

When jct 9a opens on M7, it will be much easier. Jct 9a, clane, barberstown, Maynooth

Even in current conditions its certainly better than commuting to south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

The best route is exit 7 from the N7, through Straffan and into Maynooth, it takes about 1hr from Portlaoise, I've done it many times, I'm from Laois myself, but I moved to Maynooth in the end.

Thats not considering current road works, I don't know what they are like in the mornings, there may be a better way around

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The road works are a **** at the moment tbh.

Once you hit Naas South - Junction 10 the start of the road works, it just slows down. Sallins to Clane is another delay but at this hour it might not be too bad as a lot of it is heading towards Naas and the Motorway etc. There will be traffic but mostly going the opposite direction to the OP for the most part. Getting off at Naas South - Jct 10 and heading to Carragh then Clane would be ok traffic wise but it's a narrow enough road with sharp bends. Road surface is fine can't remember many potholes etc last time.

Kill - Straffan - Maynooth is a more straight forward run if a bit longer but again, gotta get through the roadworks and you'll be joining the traffic heading to Dublin which OP is already familiar with.

When the roadworks are done, it'll be a no brainer. Get off at new junction, bypass around Sallins and up to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If you get the train to Sallins you could possibly link with new 139 service to Blanch via Maynooth

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/TFI-Naas-to-Blanchardstown-Bus-Service-A3-fold-to-A6-Proof-6-1.pdf

Riskymove wrote: »
    If you get the train to Sallins you could possibly link with new 139 service to Blanch via Maynooth

https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/TFI-Naas-to-Blanchardstown-Bus-Service-A3-fold-to-A6-Proof-6-1.pdf

Cheers for that but don't think it would make sense (from a cost, time or convenience perspective) when I have a car I'll be keeping/using anyway.

I have a few different routes to check out this week so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cheers for that but don't think it would make sense (from a cost, time or convenience perspective) when I have a car I'll be keeping/using anyway.

I have a few different routes to check out this week so :)

Says a lot about the inherent design flaws of much of our public transport when it’s infrequency makes interchanges unattractive to potential users.

Says a lot about the inherent design flaws of much of our public transport when it’s infrequency makes interchanges unattractive to potential users.

I agree.. it's also a bit ridiculous that there's no HQDC/motorway link between the M7 and M4 that would remove the need to either go through various towns or deal with poor roads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement