Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

So, will my car fail NCT?

Options
  • 26-05-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I'm driving an 04 passat 1.9tdi. Has been an excellent bangernomics for the last couple of years.

However the gearbox is the only thing that started to let me down a few months ago. My question is, does a dodgey gearbox warrant a fail at the NCT? I haven't bothered getting it diagnosed or fixed as the car is probably worth the same as the cost of repair. The gearbox basically crunches into 1st and 2nd gear. Maybe synchros or something have gone..

I'll probably test it anyway but just wanted an idea from someone who might have an insight here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

All the nct cares about the gearbox is that it can go forward when you select first gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The NCT manual states what is tested
    https://www.ncts.ie/media/1004/nct-manual-july-2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Broken gear synchronizers are not a reason for fail on NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Contrails

Thanks for your reply guys. I hope I can get it through. Myself and the wife are trying to get over the line for a mortgage. This couldn't happen at a worse time. A loan to change car would ruin us. Fingers crossed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

To note is that "roughness or stiffness in operation of gears" is now a reason for failure of a test as per the new regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

biko wrote: »

The manual is now out of date and needs updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe a strongly worded letter will make it happen. Let us know how you got on ;)

Advertisement