Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian licence - changing for insurance

Options
  • 26-05-2018 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Morning Boards,

I've two Italian housemates and there sick of me driving them to work :rolleyes:

They've got Italian licences, is it a good idea to get these changed to Irish ones for insurance quotes and would it justify the expense?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Technically they can drive here on their Italian licenses, all European licenses would be valid in any European country. However, insurance companies here do give a 'discount' for people using Irish driving licenses.
    I have a European license myself and was told by a broker that if I changed my license to an Irish one I would be paying 200 or 300 euro less (sorry I can't remember the exact amount).
    I chose not to change mine but it is still valid and I drive away here :)
    So in terms of expense it would be worth.
    I think that the biggest problem though will be the lack of ncb, so if they can produce a no claims discount from their last insurance it would bring the cost of the insurance down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Technically they can drive here on their Italian licenses, all European licenses would be valid in any European country. However, insurance companies here do give a 'discount' for people using Irish driving licenses.
    I have a European license myself and was told by a broker that if I changed my license to an Irish one I would be paying 200 or 300 euro less (sorry I can't remember the exact amount).
    I chose not to change mine but it is still valid and I drive away here :)
    So in terms of expense it would be worth.
    I think that the biggest problem though will be the lack of ncb, so if they can produce a no claims discount from their last insurance it would bring the cost of the insurance down.

Hey Mistress GI, even a roundabout figure of 200 euro would convince them to change the licence, think it's a few minutes in the NDLS and only a few euro. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I looked into changing my license and it costs around 50 euro for a 10 year license, from what I know it may take a few weeks for the new Irish license to arrive.
    Or I could just add this link:
    https://www.ndls.ie/holders-of-foreign-licences.html#to-apply-to-exchange-a-foreign-driving-licence-issued-by-a-member-state-of-the-european-union-european-economic-area

Aah :)

Advertisement