Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension - Privately paid teacher

Options
  • 26-05-2018 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is in the correct place so move if necessary...

I am looking to start paying into a pension plan ASAP as I finally feel that I am earning enough to comfortably contribute and not leave myself on the breadline.

I am looking for any advice if possible re my situation:
    I taught 2 years in the UK and contributed into a UK pension scheme. I then returned to Ireland and completed a maternity leave that was Dept paid and I contributed into the teacher pension as normal

Since then I have completed a further two years in the same school but as a privately paid teacher. For those two years I have not contributed to any pension plan whatsoever.

All going to plan I see myself remaining in this same school -still paid privately- next year.
    However after that I will be hoping to move closer to home and if that happens I will be department paid.

My questions I guess is this; Am I better off waiting until I get a department paid position and just start my pension contributions from that point? Or should I set up a private pension ASAP and start contributing straight away? How will this affect me going from a privately paid teacher to a dept paid teacher in the future?

Apologies for the speil but I'm hoping someone who has been through something similar may be able to help.

Thanks

Advertisement