Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grass and weed control

Options
  • 26-05-2018 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

i planted some whitethorns quicks earlier in the year but have grass and weeds around them now, is there a good spray to kill the grass and weeds and not affect the wee trees

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

talkie2 wrote: »
    i planted some whitethorns quicks earlier in the year but have grass and weeds around them now, is there a good spray to kill the grass and weeds and not affect the wee trees

Well, Glyphosate would decimate the grass and weeds. However, it would kill the white thorns as well unless you were very accurate with the sprayer and eliminated drift. Is a strimmer / brush cutter a runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Get a hood for your knapsack and take your time spraying them , use glyphosate

• Registered Users Posts: 41 talkie2

is there anything else guys

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

Buy a slash hook in your local farmers co op for €25, takes some time but does a good job at cleaning the grass off the plants and cutting other plants. Just keep it sharp as most of those co op slash hooks come with a terrible edge.
    Just pull the grass off the plant flatten it to the ground.

Also makes using a knapsack a breeze as the grass it down and away from the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corco2000

Put a traffic cone over plant. And spray around. I did this successfully the 1st year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I had the same problem, leave it this year let the grass grow around them. Spray very early next year and keep the spray down low
    as not to hit the buds and then it easier to keep it under control for next year growing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Similar problem here with new hedge. Weeds twice as tall as hawthorn.

I’ve used strimmer as close as I dare. After that using a manual hands clippers. Painful work.

Will use ghlypo spray but like op concerned about avoiding the hedge plants. Will try barrier trick similar to cone idea but maybe will use a large sheet like cardboard.

Advertisement