Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching Adults to read and write.

Options
  • 25-05-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

I was reading a thread further down and a Poster gave advice to the OP to consider volunteering to teach adults to read and write.
    Now I have often thought that this is something I would be interested in doing.
    A good link in the other thread lead me to the NALA website and it would seem I would need to do a six week training course.
    I would like to know if anyone here have done this. It would be nice to get an insight of whats involved from someone in the know. I will email the website as well.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My wife did this for a time before we had kids and found it very rewarding.

If you have the time and inclination I’d say do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

_Brian wrote: »
    My wife did this for a time before we had kids and found it very rewarding.

If you have the time and inclination I’d say do it.

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It’s done on a volunteer basis. After the training, you’d be paired up with a single learner, probably through the adult education organiser in your local ETB (formerly VEC). You’d be asked to commit to an hour a week.

Very worthwhile.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My pensioner mother did it with NALA and found it a rewarding experience. She was teaching a small class of asylum seekers from all over the world and found the cultural interaction (good and bad) as interesting as the educational aspect itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    My pensioner mother did it with NALA and found it a rewarding experience. She was teaching a small class of asylum seekers from all over the world and found the cultural interaction (good and bad) as interesting as the educational aspect itself.
    That's exactly the type of response I'm looking for. I hadn't factored in the likelihood of having a class of asylum seekers, this would be an even more interesting situation.
    Do you know if these people were able to speak English at a reasonable level?

• Advertisement
Advertisement