Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New gear cables still not fixed

Options
  • 25-05-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone posted on here not so long ago about gear linkage anyways brought it to a mechanic he had it for the day checked it out and he said the cables where streched so I told him go ahead and order the cables from Peugeot for my 2014 peugoet partner van 70k on it he fitted the cables didn't make much improvement after a week the little improvement it made had fone back the same been all tight and sticky and notchy and that was with brand new genuine cables .. so which leads me to think what could be the problem causing it with fresh cables been put on it what else could be at fault

(also happens when van is not turned on)

Could it be the gearbox does a gearbox work when a car or van is not turned on ?

Could it be the clutch ?

I asked the mechanic and he said the clutch was ok and gearbox was ok ?

But I have noticed that when moving off from a stop that the clutch judders

In just really frustrated that after paying €320 for to get the cables done and it's still there I don't want to keep onto if it's gona be gearbox giving trouble in another few months..

If anyone has any Info would be really grateful or anything that I can do or check to try and see what is happening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Jayjay2424 wrote: »
    Hi everyone posted on here not so long ago about gear linkage anyways brought it to a mechanic he had it for the day checked it out and he said the cables where streched so I told him go ahead and order the cables from Peugeot for my 2014 peugoet partner van 70k on it he fitted the cables didn't make much improvement after a week the little improvement it made had fone back the same been all tight and sticky and notchy and that was with brand new genuine cables .. so which leads me to think what could be the problem causing it with fresh cables been put on it what else could be at fault

(also happens when van is not turned on)

Could it be the gearbox does a gearbox work when a car or van is not turned on ?

Could it be the clutch ?

I asked the mechanic and he said the clutch was ok and gearbox was ok ?

But I have noticed that when moving off from a stop that the clutch judders

In just really frustrated that after paying €320 for to get the cables done and it's still there I don't want to keep onto if it's gona be gearbox giving trouble in another few months..

If anyone has any Info would be really grateful or anything that I can do or check to try and see what is happening

320 for gearbox’s cables. They seen u coming a mile away. That’s a crazy price. In essence u where taking for a ride and that’s coming from a mechanic.

Sounds to me that it could be more like the fingers on your pressure plate part of the clutch system.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Jayjay2424

Bmw123d wrote: »
    320 for gearbox’s cables. They seen u coming a mile away. That’s a crazy price. In essence u where taking for a ride and that’s coming from a mechanic.

Sounds to me that it could be more like the fingers on your pressure plate part of the clutch system.

Ya it was €50 first to try and diagnose the problem then €200 for cables from peugeot and rest was Labour .. he said he cehcked everything else out and said it was all good so i dont know really what could be the problem causing it...

pressure plate wouldn't be that much to replace would it obviously would have to be replaced with the 3 piece kit including clutch and release bearing..

also another thing I noticed that when I got the car back from the mechanic there's a sound coming from underneath it I know the same sound from my brothers mondao that he had when fly wheel was at fault it was rattling sounded almost like metal hitting metal coming from underneath when idle

Ya it was €50 first to try and diagnose the problem then €200 for cables from peugeot and rest was Labour .. he said he cehcked everything else out and said it was all good so i dont know really what could be the problem causing it...

pressure plate wouldn't be that much to replace would it obviously would have to be replaced with the 3 piece kit including clutch and release bearing..

also another thing I noticed that when I got the car back from the mechanic there's a sound coming from underneath it I know the same sound from my brothers mondao that he had when fly wheel was at fault it was rattling sounded almost like metal hitting metal coming from underneath when idle

It could be the flywheel rattling of course. But to me it sounds like one of the trays or liners are loose but he could of also left something lose near the gearbox when he was working

In regard to the pressure plate you are still prob talking in the region of 150 to 200 euro for the clutch kit and while ur doing that you would want to be replacing the flywheel also(that is of course if it’s fitted with a dual mass flywheel)

Then your going to have the labor of taking the gearbox out fitting the new parts and also refitting and filling with oil.

And my last part is he wouldn’t of being able to tell you for sure that the clutch was perfect with out the gearbox out. While there might be no slippage in the clutch I do reckon I’m right with the fingers on the pressure plate.

Sorry one last part to add to that. I highly doubt the cables where bought from a main dealer unless u specificily asked for genuine. So I’d imagine that price was abit high. And as for the 50 for diagnosing the problem well that’s really cheeky

It could be the flywheel rattling of course. But to me it sounds like one of the trays or liners are loose but he could of also left something lose near the gearbox when he was working

In regard to the pressure plate you are still prob talking in the region of 150 to 200 euro for the clutch kit and while ur doing that you would want to be replacing the flywheel also(that is of course if it’s fitted with a dual mass flywheel)
    Then your going to have the labor of taking the gearbox out fitting the new parts and also refitting and filling with oil.

And my last part is he wouldn’t of being able to tell you for sure that the clutch was perfect with out the gearbox out. While there might be no slippage in the clutch I do reckon I’m right with the fingers on the pressure plate.

Sorry one last part to add to that. I highly doubt the cables where bought from a main dealer unless u specificily asked for genuine. So I’d imagine that price was abit high. And as for the 50 for diagnosing the problem well that’s really cheeky

The cables where genuone i acually ordered the cables myself and then gave them to him to fit them ..

In total what would you think I would be looking at for 3 piece kit and fly wheel I think they have dual mass fly wheel as far as I know ?

Another thing how long would it soldier on as it is now like clutch is weak I no that myself can feel it when moving off judders 70% time from moving off..

Another thing I actuallynoticed also was when doing say 30mph and I put my foot on the clutch and change from like 3rd to 4th to 5th and back those gears you can feel the notchy ness it's almost like the synchros are struggling to get into gear or something and when change gear and let leg off clutch even doing so very slow van kind of bucks as if something is not releasing proper .. sorry for all the annoying posts but I really need to get to the end of this it's costing me alot money getting stiff done and not been solved .. and I agree €50 to diagnose and he only had it about 2 hours

The cables where genuone i acually ordered the cables myself and then gave them to him to fit them ..

In total what would you think I would be looking at for 3 piece kit and fly wheel I think they have dual mass fly wheel as far as I know ?

Another thing how long would it soldier on as it is now like clutch is weak I no that myself can feel it when moving off judders 70% time from moving off..

Another thing I actuallynoticed also was when doing say 30mph and I put my foot on the clutch and change from like 3rd to 4th to 5th and back those gears you can feel the notchy ness it's almost like the synchros are struggling to get into gear or something and when change gear and let leg off clutch even doing so very slow van kind of bucks as if something is not releasing proper .. sorry for all the annoying posts but I really need to get to the end of this it's costing me alot money getting stiff done and not been solved .. and I agree €50 to diagnose and he only had it about 2 hours

No one can really say how long your going to get out of your clutch. That all depends on your driving styles ect. But if it’s starting to judder as u say it’s defo on the way out.

The next thing you say is about the gears and I’ve answered that already. It’s going to be a bent or broken finger on the pressure plate. That will cause it dragging going into gear. It will be notchy and stiff with what I’ve said above.

With the costs I haven’t priced one but if it’s a 3 piece clutch kit and flywheel I’d imagine between 600-700 on the parts. Could be a bit more or less I haven’t checked. And then ur looking at 250-300 labor.

To be honest with u I find it quite annoying with people out there diagnosing cars incorrectly it happens all to common now are days or the people looking for the cheapest job the can possibly get done. You want a cheap job done well by god that’s what u pay for. But if you want something done right yes u might pay that bit more but you get someone who stands over it and you know it will be done right. Like example of what u paid to get the van sorted. It didn’t even need cables. There was half ur clutch paid for.

Anyhow if u need some more info just ask or if u need help in anyway just drop me a pm I’d be glad to help

• Advertisement

No one can really say how long your going to get out of your clutch. That all depends on your driving styles ect. But if it’s starting to judder as u say it’s defo on the way out.

The next thing you say is about the gears and I’ve answered that already. It’s going to be a bent or broken finger on the pressure plate. That will cause it dragging going into gear. It will be notchy and stiff with what I’ve said above.

With the costs I haven’t priced one but if it’s a 3 piece clutch kit and flywheel I’d imagine between 600-700 on the parts. Could be a bit more or less I haven’t checked. And then ur looking at 250-300 labor.

To be honest with u I find it quite annoying with people out there diagnosing cars incorrectly it happens all to common now are days or the people looking for the cheapest job the can possibly get done. You want a cheap job done well by god that’s what u pay for. But if you want something done right yes u might pay that bit more but you get someone who stands over it and you know it will be done right. Like example of what u paid to get the van sorted. It didn’t even need cables. There was half ur clutch paid for.

Anyhow if u need some more info just ask or if u need help in anyway just drop me a pm I’d be glad to help

I think I might just sell it as it is and get a cheap van as a run about for a while I think myself who ever owned it before me didn't have no remorse for the van it's spotless van but mechanical wise it's a money racket I basically wasted nearly 350 on it for nothing and for got to mention also it's on 71k now will need timing belt also tjats another 450 be almost looking at 2 grand to get it right 🙄🙄🙄 think it was just a bad van and abused by previous owner I don't want to waste anymore money on it wasted enough really the past month on it

Advertisement