Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking for summer job

Options
  • 25-05-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi i'm a 15 year old girl looking for a summer job in a racing yard. I have applied for a trainee jockey course in RACE. I don't have as much experience racing but i have been riding for 10 years cross country and showjumping. I don't mind doing normal yard work but I would like to gain experience grooming and leading up at race meetings. I am based in Dublin but will travel to Kildare or anywhere 30 minutes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'd say take a look at the list of racing trainers (available on the HRI website: http://www.hri-ras.ie/information-centre/industry/trainers/)

Identify the ones close to you and contact them to see if you'd be able to get some experience working with them. Just bear in mind that a lot of people will be in your position, so it might be difficult to find someone who's willing to pay you while you gain experience.

If I remember, RACE want you to have experience riding and preferably some in the racing industry. I do know when they go through the applications they invite potential students in to their assessment and look at how you ride, your experience, your engagement, goals, etc. So not having any racing experience isn't necessarily a disadvantage, but having some could always help.

Advertisement