Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking Tent

Options
  • 25-05-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

We have a couple of backpack trips planned to the West of Ireland - Inishmore & also Achill.

Anyway, I am looking for a decent 2 man tent that will stand up to anything the Atlantic will throw at it.

I would love the MSR Elixir 2 but its expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Weight & price & stand-up-in-the-wind-abilty are major factors for us.

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tphase

A geodisic or semi-geodisic design is best for standing up to the wind.
    If you're determined to buy new, Vango are reasonably good value but I wouldn't touch the cheaper end of their range.
    2nd hand, you can find really good deals occasionally but you have to know what you're looking for.
    I have a 2-man, North Face tent, pretty much as new condition, which I was thinking of selling. If you're interested, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 youoweme

Just bought the MSR Elixir 2 yesterday, gonna take it into Wicklow tomorrow for 2 nights, will let you know how i get on.

i really struggled with the price but in the end saw it as an investment. Dont think ill ever get a mortgage so might end up living in it! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Going to overnight in Wicklow tomorrow night also...... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭tphase

youoweme wrote: »
    Just bought the MSR Elixir 2 yesterday, gonna take it into Wicklow tomorrow for 2 nights, will let you know how i get on.

i really struggled with the price but in the end saw it as an investment. Dont think ill ever get a mortgage so might end up living in it! :D
    can I ask, what did it set you back?

about 255 with mountaineering ireland discount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

youoweme wrote: »
    about 255 with mountaineering ireland discount.

Personally I don't see that is particularly expensive for a good tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

youoweme wrote:

How did you find it? Was brilliant weather for it.

yeah its a great tent! Well designed!

beautiful weather but too perfect for midges, calm, humid and warm mornings were not pleasant when venturing out to the loo!

Advertisement