Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile Broadband review?

Options
  • 25-05-2018 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in wrong forum but can't find any review or feedback on 3.ie's very attractive looking mobile broadband package. Previously I have always checked Boards.ie before signing up to a new bb deal. Admittedly it has been a while but if anyone has any experience or can direct me I would very much appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not real broadband, you need to remember that. If Virgin are on a street they have 2000Mbps for that street to share. Three have 150Mbps for 10-20 streets.

You can get lucky in some areas (like mine) but most will be busy as all hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

ED E wrote: »
    Its not real broadband, you need to remember that. If Virgin are on a street they have 2000Mbps for that street to share. Three have 150Mbps for 10-20 streets.

It’s absolutely crap wouldn’t go near it

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

It’s absolutely crap wouldn’t go near it

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

My position is I live in rural Wickow where I'm getting 7mb on cable on a good day. Recently due to my home broadband being down I started using my phone as a hotspot. Speeds were on average 22mbp which for me is a huge improvement.
    So the mobile broadband would be a huge improvement unless there is a downside I'm not seeing. On the €30 You get unlimited download. I've tested the 3.ie signal in my home and it's as above. I can't use my phone as a hotspot regularly as I have a data cap and am locked into my current contract. The only question really is are the modems terrible or there is a hidden catch
    Thanks for the reply and I am savage jealous of the speeds you are getting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭backthephilup

That's directing me to the Midlands forum?

I have 5mpbs with eir, I bought a huawei modem and a three sim, im getting 12mpbs after 7 in the evenings and close to 30 out of peak hours.

Now last year it wasnt much quicker than the 5mpbs from eir but it improved this year and its not as dependable in the long term.

I bought a refurbished huawei b593 modem s22 with external antennas.

Been using it maybe a week and its working great. Im on a €20 top up for all you can eat on PAYG and you can use your credit on google play http://www.three.ie/plans/phone/prepay/. Id be wary signing up for 4g for 18 months, it could go to complete crap in the mean time.

Im waiting for FTTH from eir later in the year
    That's directing me to the Midlands forum?

Midband

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

On the €30 You get unlimited download.
    Check the fair usage terms:
    3Unlimited Broadband fair usage of 750GB per billing cycle applies.

It's 6.15c/MB over that.

Whereas the 3 AYCE phone SIM for 20 euro per 28 days is up to 2TB.

Think carefully before signing up to any contract with three.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Speeds were on average 22mbp which for me is a huge improvement.

Schools are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭AlanG

I find it ok for netflix etc most of the time in Dublin 15 but when I am in the city center, even with a good signal the speed is really poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I have Three € 30 /month, because I have no other options "apart from Vodafone 150G cap" sometimes it is very good, but between 8 and 10 pm on a rainy day, it goes down to less than 1 mbps, sometimes it is very frustrating to use so I keep the video streaming and go away from the computer just to annoy others who have other options and go for Three to save 20 or 30 Euro a month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Mobile broadband signal strength is very dependent on atmospheric and aurora activity. This has been very favourible lately and is helping signals. It might be a different scenario after the autumn equinox. Just bear in mind for anybody considering entering a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Check the fair usage terms:

It's 6.15c/MB over that.

Whereas the 3 AYCE phone SIM for 20 euro per 28 days is up to 2TB.

Think carefully before signing up to any contract with three.

Can I ask where you are seeing the AYCE for €20 per 28 days is up to 2TB - can find it on the 3 website - http://www.three.ie/pdf/current-priceguide.pdf

Cheers

I have 5mpbs with eir, I bought a huawei modem and a three sim, im getting 12mpbs after 7 in the evenings and close to 30 out of peak hours.

Now last year it wasnt much quicker than the 5mpbs from eir but it improved this year and its not as dependable in the long term.

I bought a refurbished huawei b593 modem s22 with external antennas.

Been using it maybe a week and its working great. Im on a €20 top up for all you can eat on PAYG and you can use your credit on google play http://www.three.ie/plans/phone/prepay/. Id be wary signing up for 4g for 18 months, it could go to complete crap in the mean time.

Im waiting for FTTH from eir later in the year

Midband

How are the speeds now, if I may ask?

Imagine LTE are cutting me off due to loss of sight to their mast (growing trees on another property)
    I had 3 prior to switching the Imagine as they were offering better speeds and data allowance at the time (20GB p/m)

I am tempted by the €30pm with the B525 router option but like you, am waiting for Eir to hopefully get up off their arses and upgrade our local exchange.

Cheers

How are the speeds now, if I may ask?

Imagine LTE are cutting me off due to loss of sight to their mast (growing trees on another property)
    I had 3 prior to switching the Imagine as they were offering better speeds and data allowance at the time (20GB p/m)

I am tempted by the €30pm with the B525 router option but like you, am waiting for Eir to hopefully get up off their arses and upgrade our local exchange.

Cheers

Up and down. In the evenings 7-10 or maybe 15. Just depends. Most i get is 25. Pretty happy its better than the 4.3 i get with eircom

Can I ask where you are seeing the AYCE for €20 per 28 days is up to 2TB

When logged in to the 3 portal, data allowance is displayed as 2TB.

They say that fair usage is 60GB and they reserve the right to limit the service beyond that if other users are impacted.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    They say that fair usage is 60GB and they reserve the right to limit the service beyond that if other users are impacted.
    The word impacted is open to definition, During peak times Three speed goes down to less than 1mbps, and they consider that is not "impacted".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'm looking at getting an aircard or something of the like up and running in the new house while we wait for broadband, 3 website says I'm in a 4G area, indoors and outdoors. What are my options here? Regular 3 phone sim? Are there other companies that offer a good bit of data for this solution, has to be PAYG I'm not entering any contract for this.

All advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

plRyGB4tp

I find it tremendous. I work from home in IT. Works perfectly for VOIP as well as stable connection to remote hosts and Citrix hosts.

I do have a fixed “broadband” with sky also ranging from 0.5-> 3 mb as a backup but I have never had to fallback to it thank god.

I use it with a router I bought myself (TP Link MR200) which is better than the supplied three one.

I'm thinking of picking up the Huawei B525 on Adverts and popping a 3 sim into it.. is there any way this doesn't end in disaster or is it a fairly solid plan. I'm with Eir on my phone and get a comfortable 50 ping when gaming and 40mb down when downloading so if I can get the same down in Mallow with this I'd be delighted.

• Advertisement

Make sure whatever router you buy is unlocked to any network.

If you have a spare android phone, then just use it's hotspot until you get permanent broadband (rather than buying the router).

There's no guarantee that you'll have good 3 signal at your location but it'll only cost 20euro to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lehe8707

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking up the Huawei B525 on Adverts and popping a 3 sim into it.. is there any way this doesn't end in disaster or is it a fairly solid plan. I'm with Eir on my phone and get a comfortable 50 ping when gaming and 40mb down when downloading so if I can get the same down in Mallow with this I'd be delighted.

Yeah I’m in mallow too. Well halfway to Liscarroll. Test with a phone too. If you have like 5mb on a phone you’ll get quicker with the huauwei modem and quicker again with better equipment like the tp link I mentioned.

What kind of 4G speeds are you getting on average in Liscarroll? I'd want to be getting 40mb minimum to make it worth my while buying a 4G modem.

Dave147 wrote: »

With Three you get 40mbs off peak and 4 mbps during peak times

Ultimanemo wrote:
    With Three you get 40mbs off peak and 4 mbps during peak times

4mb is fairly pitiful at any time, I'd get over 10mb at peak times but can't do much with 4mb. Here's hoping I can get proper BB in next week so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Bit of a novice here with the terms used etc, what does FTTH stand for?
    Thanks

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Bit of a novice here with the terms used etc, what does FTTH stand for?
    Thanks

Fibre to the house. A fibre cable running into your house, the holy grail.

Efibre is fibre to the cabinet. So fibre goes to a box nearby and an old fashioned phone line the rest of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Just to jump in here in regards to the 3 sim only offer. I can buy a 3 ayce sim only ( 30 day contract) and pop it in a router?
    Which routers and where to buy would ye recommend?
    Thanks

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Just to jump in here in regards to the 3 sim only offer. I can buy a 3 ayce sim only ( 30 day contract) and pop it in a router?
    Which routers and where to buy would ye recommend?
    Thanks

Yeh im using it now. I bought a huawei b315

someone here can help you out
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone on 3 has experienced very frequent disconnects over the last few weeks? I loose connectivity up to 7-8 times a night and while it auto-recovers after a few mins, it is very frustrating. Watching Netflix is getting very frustrating as the link drops and the program stops. Working from home is not an option as I can't depend on the connection staying up.

I am trying to figure out if the issue on the 3 side or on the TPLink router I'm using.

TIA

Advertisement