Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with Skoda Fabia

Options
  • 25-05-2018 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 161 Skoda Fabia and yesterday two (possibly related?) issues arose.

1. I got an "Airbag error" warning, and the airbag light is now on
    2. The buttons on the steering wheel stopped working.

The car is still under warranty so I called the main dealer. They can't look at it for 3 weeks! And they obviously can't tell me what's wrong until they look at it.

I can't have the car serviced at a non skoda dealer, and I'm not really sure if I should drive the car, so I'm in limbo a little bit.

It seems absolutely nuts when they have to honor a warranty that they can't look at the car quicker than this.

Any ideas as to what I should/could do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Cordell

Try to find another dealer and emphasize on the safety concern of having an airbags fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭blackbox

You could try asking for a replacement car until it is fixed as you are concerned that the car might not be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sounds like the clock spring has gone faulty. Obviously your airbag won't work but it is ok to drive otherwise.

Your car being 161 is still in Skoda warranty and should have 3 years roadside assist. Call Skoda assist, explain there is a safety related warning light on the dash, they will send out the AA, recover it to the nearest dealer who is obliged to look at it same day, I think you're entitled to replacement car cover too.

www.skoda.ie/owners/assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Cordell

It's ok to drive that is it will not develop further faults, nor will get the existing ones worse. But really it's not ok to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thanks everyone. I called Skoda assist and they are coming to collect it and arranging a rental car.

So either it gets sorted today or I have a nice clean car for the weekend! Win, win.

• Advertisement

does the horn work ,

I'd bet on the steering wheel squib (clock spring??) also .

does the horn work ,

I'd bet on the steering wheel squib (clock spring??) also .

Don't know, car's gone!

Will let you know when i find out the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Thanks everyone. I called Skoda assist and they are coming to collect it and arranging a rental car.

Very poor form by the dealer, why did they not sort the same thing?

Like you guys suspected, it's the clock spring, part has been ordered, should be ready Monday or Tuesday.

In the mean time i get to enjoy a 181 Golf for the weekend.

Very poor form by the dealer, why did they not sort the same thing?

No idead.

I'm still shocked that they think a 3 weeks wait for a repair under warranty is acceptable.

• Advertisement

No idead.

I'm still shocked that they think a 3 weeks wait for a repair under warranty is acceptable.

Any hints as to the location of this Skoda dealer? I have a 172 Octavia, would prefer to steer clear...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Any hints as to the location of this Skoda dealer? I have a 172 Octavia, would prefer to steer clear...

If they were booked three weeks out, they were booked three weeks out. There is a que for their services and they offered the OP to join it. Although it wasn't a scenario that suited the OP to be proposed with such a long wait, it's better than them over promising on something they couldn't deliver on and taking the car in on spec and then either leaving it parked up for days on end or rushing it through the workshop and making a bags of it.

The only thing the dealer did wrong was not advise the OP to call roadside assistance, they should have done that. I don't really know if that's a reason to point blanc avoid the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

If they were booked three weeks out, they were booked three weeks out. There is a que for their services and they offered the OP to join it. Although it wasn't a scenario that suited the OP to be proposed with such a long wait, it's better than them over promising on something they couldn't deliver on and taking the car in on spec and then either leaving it parked up for days on end or rushing it through the workshop and making a bags of it.

The only thing the dealer did wrong was not advise the OP to call roadside assistance, they should have done that. I don't really know if that's a reason to point blanc avoid the dealer?

People don't realise that tho. You'll always have that type of customer. Had a woman ring yesterday looking for a full service and nct check for today, gets ratty on the phone because we're booked out for 2 weeks. Your also into the time of year where staff are taking holidays so could be down a few staff members so could have to spread out the work

The op didn't call the AA, he called Skoda.

The skoda dealer couldn't do that?

Where is the car being sorted by skoda? Wild guess - a skoda dealer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

****e cars never again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP did you buy the car from the dealer who wanted you to wait 3 weeks?

Advertisement