Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Swapping a non-runner 3L Petrol UK Import with electric engine: VRT?

Options
  • 25-05-2018 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a non-runner from the UK and engine swapping with an electric motor in Ireland. The unmodded vehicle in question is nearly 4K (nearly as much as the UK price and close to 10 years old FFS!) on the VRT calculator.

What is Revenue's reaction to electric conversions when it comes to VRT? Will a Zero emission car be charged at full 3.0L emission rates?

Otherwise I might have to write a strongly worded letter to Denis Naughten regarding circumvention of EU co2 regulations....and maybe, latterly, a wee trip to the EU courts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have no clue. What kind of electric motor are you putting into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,471 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Before you do anything ring around and see who will insure it after it's modified, no point in doing all the work and then find it's uninsurable. If it was me I would get the conversion done in the UK with UK logbook updatted, then bring here, you may still run in to problems as the vehicle will not exist on the Revenue VRT calculator.

Advertisement