Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost to reline sewer drain pipe ?

Options
  • 25-05-2018 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

how much does it cost to reline a sewer drain ?

sewer pipe runs down back of all the 1950s houses.
    we have an easy accessible manhole in our garden on this pipe, with aprox. 4meters of pipe on one side and 6 meters on the other

==4==[M]===6===

whats a ballpark figure in dublin for

1) patch repair 1 meter ?(pipes displaced at clay joining, not big holes/cracks from root ingress)

2) reline the 4 meter length?

3) reline the 4 meter PLUS the 6 meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Hundreds up to over a thousand I would say. I would also consider replacing it rather than investing more money in it. It really depends on the setup.

Also consider whether the current layout really suits. If it is close to the house it may cause issues later if anyone wants to extend.

I changed the drains at the back of mine and my three neighbours houses completely. We were able to leave space for extensions, get a much better fall, put in flood valves and have the benefit of completely new piping.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hundreds up to over a thousand I would say. I would also consider replacing it rather than investing more money in it. It really depends on the setup.

I agree with replacing it. Personally I'd replace it all on my property if I started at all I wouldn't be messing with one or two meters of it.

OP are you sure it needs repairing? Has any sent cameras down yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭okden

antoinolachtnai & Sleeper12 ty for the replies :)

we have an extension over half of the pipe ..so replacing the pipe isnt an option unfortunately

the problem is we built a 2nd extension which later had a rodent problem coming up thru its floor insulation

when this happened we had a cam sent down the pipe.

they said the pipe was displaced at a join between 2 pipes by a small amount. that the rodents were most likely burrowing out from there. and that it would cost 1200 to patch repair a meter of it :eek:

as this seemed steep, and would of trapped rodents in the house (blocking their exit) , ..we decided to postpone any reline patch job until we could clear out the rodents and better understand our options for relining/pricing etc.

i will get more quotes/cams done now that the rodent panic is gone

was wondering how the pricing worked before i get the quotes, ..like if 1 meter cost 1200 ..is 2 meters 2400 or 1300 ?

Am I right in understanding that an extension has been built over the shared drain for the row?

What do you mean by 'over half the pipe'? Do you mean the extension wall has been built along the pipe?

These are clay pipes presumably?

Are you certain that this is where the rodent problem is coming from? What has been done to resolve the rodent problem?

yep antoin and ty, an extension was built over a shared drain in a row of house

..its 1950's or 60's terraced houses, and a shared waste pipe runs parallel to all the houses thru the back gardens, this pipe is about 1 meter from the houses rear wall

like the layout in this image (ignoring the 'responsibility' text)
    full

the houses are aprox 10 meters wide

we have an extension ontop of 4 meters of it, (then there is a a manhole, then a 6 meter length, the 6 meter length has lentel and patio slabbed over it)

____
    |ext|
    ==4==[m]===6===

so unfortunately relaying the pipe would be more expensive/disruptive than a pipe reline

we are lucky to have the manhole entrance, i beleive they are every second house only.

the pipes are clay, originals

1200px-Keramikrohre.jpg

the drain cam guys told me that there was a gap between 2 old clay pipes, under the extension, (im guessing due to some subsidence or all the extensions built tapping into the shared drains by us and our near neighbors)

i wasnt sure at first if the rodents were entering from the drain during the panic stage lol, but it seems more likely now

the last extension built was a tiled bathroom, the rodents seemed to of entered under the insulation on the floor, and up into the insulation of the walls, between the wall brick and the bathroom tiles, so they were somewhat contained apart from an opening for pipes

i trapped them out of the house at this opening and baited and trapped the the manhole also

• Advertisement

I would say this is quite a serious situation. I would be afraid that over the years you and your neighbours are going to have more trouble.

If there were any way to lay a new drain parallel to the existing one but in the gardens rather than under the extension (and then abandon the old one) I would do that. But that is just me.

I would be worried that there might be further subsidence. Still relining might be the best you can do.

TY antoin
    CIPP (Cured In Place Pipe) relining seems to be best option for our situation.

overall the pipes seem to be in good condition with just a small displacement between 2 clay pipes being the suspected problem at ours

CIPP is expected to last 50 years

im curious how the pricing of CIPP works before i get quotes now

mainly how much to CIPP reline lengths of ..1 meter, ..4 meters, ..4 meters plus 6 meters

Why would you line more than you need to?

I would shop around or sure. Ultimately you need a tradesman you trust. I imagine the cost is going to be mainly driven by time required

to future proof, price depending
    if 1 meter cost 1000 and 4 meter cost 1100 then ill do the full 4 meters under the extension
    if 1 meter cost 1000 and 4 cost 2000 then i might not

Advertisement