Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing engine questions

Options
  • 25-05-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi folks
    So a piston broke and has destroyed my engine. (I’m pretty sure)(2007 Pajero Sport)

Hi folks
    So a piston broke and has destroyed my engine. (I’m pretty sure)(2007 Pajero Sport 2.5)

My plan is to replace the engine myself
    I have a few questions and appreciate any advice

In testing a replacement used engine what is an acceptable compression test result?
    Anything else in particular should I test for in the replacement engine?

Should I take out the old engine with the tranny attached?
    Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

mufflets2 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    So a piston broke and has destroyed my engine. (I’m pretty sure)(2007 Pajero Sport)

Hi folks
    So a piston broke and has destroyed my engine. (I’m pretty sure)(2007 Pajero Sport 2.5)

My plan is to replace the engine myself
    I have a few questions and appreciate any advice

In testing a replacement used engine what is an acceptable compression test result?
    Anything else in particular should I test for in the replacement engine?

Should I take out the old engine with the tranny attached?
    Any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

Do a lot of these in work u defo won’t get the engine and box out together. U have to drop the shafts then the transfer box and the the gearbox. I don’t know off the top of my head the compression is it I could check when I’m back in Monday. But there a very good engine never seen that happen b4 and we have a lot of them on the road.

Not being smart or anything but have u ever done a engine change b4. There’s a lot of work in those engines. You would be looking at a day to pull it out. The second day would be spent changing over everything and that’s the part people get wrong. Every single little thing has to be changed every sensor every vacuum pipe. Because u won’t get to them when there in the car.
    And then day 3 is spent dropping the engine in then the gearbox transfer box shafts and so on.
    And that is before u try start it at all.

If u got something wrong you could be looking at another day r two diagnosing it and sorting it.

Anyways I wish u the best of luck at it.
    U do have a lift ya?
    If there’s anything I can help u with just ask or give me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

They are far from a very good engine. The cylinder head for example is very soft on them and is prone to cracking. You would want to make sure everything is good in that department before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Are you sure engine is destroyed ? I have a 1990 pajero and timing belt snapped on it and I thought engine was ****ed but the rocker shaft is sacrificial so breaks before anything else. I replaced the rocker shaft, new belt and is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Bmw123d wrote: »
    Do a lot of these in work u defo won’t get the engine and box out together. U have to drop the shafts then the transfer box and the the gearbox. I don’t know off the top of my head the compression is it I could check when I’m back in Monday. But there a very good engine never seen that happen b4 and we have a lot of them on the road.

Not being smart or anything but have u ever done a engine change b4. There’s a lot of work in those engines. You would be looking at a day to pull it out. The second day would be spent changing over everything and that’s the part people get wrong. Every single little thing has to be changed every sensor every vacuum pipe. Because u won’t get to them when there in the car.
    And then day 3 is spent dropping the engine in then the gearbox transfer box shafts and so on.
    And that is before u try start it at all.

If u got something wrong you could be looking at another day r two diagnosing it and sorting it.

Anyways I wish u the best of luck at it.
    U do have a lift ya?
    If there’s anything I can help u with just ask or give me a pm

Ive helped a friend (mechanic- gone to holland now) remove it before

it could take me twice that time - but i have the time and the tools (apart from a crane for now)

thanks for the advice

@dar_cool

Making tapping sounds - loosing power - black smoke, burning smell,
    stopped
    Didnt overheat (I have an engine monitor)
    but creamy oil now
    turning over no pick up.
    breakdown assist did a quick test (they kept it overnight) and told me theres low compression and the engine is f***ed.
    Theres buggar all tests i can do Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

@Bmw123d " I don’t know off the top of my head the compression is it I could check when I’m back in Monday. "

Id greatly appreciate that
    cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement