Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mountains Way - Hiking boots or walking shoes

Options
  • 24-05-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I'm doing the Dublin Mountains Way for Barretstown this weekend and am still debating what footwear would be best. I had initially planned to wear my hiking boots that I regularly wear on long hikes, but some people have suggested that I wear runners instead due to all the road walking. I don't have runners, but I have a pair of walking shoes, Regatta Holcombe Low, that I wear casually, walking the dogs etc. They are comfy and lightweight but I haven't done that sort of distance in them. The boots have better support and have done long distances, but are heavier and may not be great for extended road walking.
    Any thoughts? Would it be an idea to bring both pairs, or is that just unnecessary extra weight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mosi wrote: »
    I'm doing the Dublin Mountains Way for Barretstown this weekend and am still debating what footwear would be best. I had initially planned to wear my hiking boots that I regularly wear on long hikes, but some people have suggested that I wear runners instead due to all the road walking. I don't have runners, but I have a pair of walking shoes, Regatta Holcombe Low, that I wear casually, walking the dogs etc. They are comfy and lightweight but I haven't done that sort of distance in them. The boots have better support and have done long distances, but are heavier and may not be great for extended road walking.
    Any thoughts? Would it be an idea to bring both pairs, or is that just unnecessary extra weight?

I'd prefer to walk on tarmac in good walking boots than deal with Wicklow's boggy terrain in running shoes.

But a pair of runners in your backpack won't be a burden to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

First Up wrote: »
    I'd prefer to walk on tarmac in good walking boots than deal with Wicklow's boggy terrain in running shoes.

But a pair of runners in your backpack won't be a burden to carry.
    It's very dry and not boggy at all at the moment up there even in the most notorious squelchy hotspots, so I'd go with the shoes you mentioned if I were you. Plus the DMW sticks to tracks anyway so you wouldn't be going cross country where going up to your knees in muck would be a danger anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I went with the shoes and am very glad I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

can I ask a sideways question here, I need to replace my hiking boots but was thinking of getting a pair sandal style shoes/boots for the summer. Most likely route would be the WW from Enniskerry down to Glendalough or similar so I wont be trudging through bogs.

In terms of "foot health" is the aim to get the stiffest shoes you can or try strengthen up your feet if its something you want to do?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement