Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing on blasket islands

Options
  • 24-05-2018 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Grateful for any advice!

Thinking of heading to the blasket islands at the weekend for an overnight camping trip. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to bring the rod along with me to do a bit of shore fishing?

Anyone any idea of good fishing points around the island, types of fish, and useful lures/bait?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

The only area Ive fished down there is in Knightstown on Valentina. Head to pier and go out onto the floating pontoons. There's heaps of dogs there and the odd Huss. I had a good one there last year. Few mackerel around too but it was Easter so I'd imagine it should be a bit better now. Supposedly a slight chance of a ray too. I would imagine there's mullet but I didn't see any.
    There's meant to be good Pollack and wrasse off the rocks behind the lighthouse too but I didn't try there, it can be rough enough so be careful, plenty of big flat rocks to fish from.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭.red.

Here's the Huss, 9/10lbs at a guess and they get bigger down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

.red. wrote: »
    The only area Ive fished down there is in Knightstown on Valentina. Head to pier and go out onto the floating pontoons. There's heaps of dogs there and the odd Huss. I had a good one there last year. Few mackerel around too but it was Easter so I'd imagine it should be a bit better now. Supposedly a slight chance of a ray too. I would imagine there's mullet but I didn't see any.
    There's meant to be good Pollack and wrasse off the rocks behind the lighthouse too but I didn't try there, it can be rough enough so be careful, plenty of big flat rocks to fish from.
    Good luck.

Thanks Red - I'm actually hoping to fish on the blasket islands themselves but I'll remember your tips for the next time I'm down on Valentia!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Weird I was just going to post the very same question! Strongly thinking about a trip there this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

There will be plenty of places for wrasse, pollock and mackerel. Presumably also for conger etc. Might be a bit early for numbers of mackerel or the bigger pollock.

I would bring a heavy spinning rod and explore the rocks. Lure fishing for pollock and float fishing with ragworm or crab for wrasse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Bio Mech wrote: »
    There will be plenty of places for wrasse, pollock and mackerel. Presumably also for conger etc. Might be a bit early for numbers of mackerel or the bigger pollock.

I would bring a heavy spinning rod and explore the rocks. Lure fishing for pollock and float fishing with ragworm or crab for wrasse.

Thanks for the great suggestions Bio Mech! Lastly - any further suggestions for where I could source some lug worms & crab around dingle? Would wrasse take cockle meat off a float? (presumably there'll be a tonne of cockles on the rocks)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Thanks for the great suggestions Bio Mech! Lastly - any further suggestions for where I could source some lug worms & crab around dingle? Would wrasse take cockle meat off a float? (presumably there'll be a tonne of cockles on the rocks)

Wrasse will take cockle meat alright, I would imagine you should be able to find some. I am sure you could get crab (hardbacks) on the island too. Anywhere with weed covered rocks at low tide should hold a few. Or better yet a beach area with stones/rocks that you can turn over. I will PM you an area for lug.

Advertisement