Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler not heating rads, but is heating water

Options
  • 24-05-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Little perplexed on this, as nothing has changed between when it was working and is not working now.

I have an outdoor oil fired boiler, a panel inside the back door to turn on and off the boiler for heating zone 1 (downstairs), 2 (upstairs), and hot water. Upstairs I have the hot water cylinder, which has two Myson Power Extra valves connected.

Last week when I turned on heating zones 1 and 2 at the panel by the back door, the rads would heat up. Today I tried turning them on but the boiler is not firing up at all. However, if i turn on the hot water at the panel, the boiler fires up (but still doesn't heat the rads even though all switches are on).

I turned each zone and hot water switch on one by one and checked the valves upstairs, and only when the hot water comes on then one of the valves opens up at the cylinder.

Any idea why the boiler wouldn't come on for the rads but will for the hot water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭chillinpenguin

Obvious but might have forgot to check the room temp stats could be too low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be that the control panel contains a temperature sensor. Its set to 18C. I looked and could see that the controller thought the ambient temperature was 19C. So when I pressed the +1 hour button, the radiator symbol appeared, but nothing else happened. So I adjusted the temperature setting to 21C and bingo it worked.

Obviously I don't fully understand what's going on here, but my 'solution' worked.

edit: what I don't fully understand is the operation of the controls, I had to guess my way round them as I have no manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Could be those zone thermostats alright. When I switched them from 20 to 25, the second valve on the cylinder opened up to allow the hot water out.

Maybe the warmer weather lately meant the house hit the threshold for temps so it wasn't coming on since there was no need.

I let the water run to the rads for a bit and then set the thermostats back to 20. Valve has closed again and boiler is running again (I imagine it is heating up the cold water that came out of the rads).

Thanks for that tip, I didn't think those thermostats worked in this house since the last time I tried use them there was actually something wrong with the boiler, so I had discounted them at that point for some illogical reason that seemed right in my head.

Advertisement