Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name options for an Irish Info Website

Options
  • 24-05-2018 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of choosing a name for a website and I remember reading previously that its a good idea to include the keyword terms in the name of the website with regard to achieving a higher google ranking.

Lets say, as an example, I was starting a website called "Irish Genealogy", which website name would be best in terms of google ranking:

irishgenealogy.com

or

genealogy.ie

presuming that the majority of my visitors are from N. America, Britain and Australasia?

Would the .ie domain be advantageous in terms of ranking when Google searches include the "Irish" or "Ireland" keywords or would it only be ranked higher for people searching from Ireland, meaning it would rank poorly for someone searching via google.ca/ or from Canada.

Also, would a website with the domain name "irelandgenealogy.com" rank well for "Irish Genealogy" searches? In other words, are "Ireland" and "Irish" interchangeable in terms of keywords?

Thanks,
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

These days I wouldn't worry too much about the domain name you use, it's more about content richness and traffic/link backs etc. but with mobile it's also important that your website works well on mobile devices otherwise it'll be pushed down the search results. You can focus on keywords in the content of your pages.

Pick a name you like and with time the content of your site will 'associate' with that domain as people and search engines visit your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're going outside Ireland then .com is still "king"

Advertisement