Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 amp mcb for 3kw immersion with 1.5mm cable

Options
  • 24-05-2018 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

We moved into a house 18 months ago and haven't really used the immersion that much until now.

So I was checking the circuit and it looks like the immersion element is a dual 2/2.85 with a pre-installed cable.

The cable from the immersion to the isolator seems to be 1.5mm but this is protected by a 20 amp MCB from what I understand is the maximum load for the cable.
    Should this MCB not be lower like 16amp? Should I be worried?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It should be a 2.5mm^2 Heat Resistant flex. Good spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Tuco88 wrote: »
    It should be a 2.5mm^2 Heat Resistant flex. Good spot...

From what I can tell the immersion comes with 1.5m of prewired cable at 1.5mm. This unit is over 18 years old so would have been installed under older regs.
    I may just get an electrician out to check it to be sure.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dual element (2 and 3 kw) immersion elements are normally supplied with heat resistant 4 core 1.5 mm sq. flex

My understanding is:
    The current carrying capacity of a cable depends on a number of factors, conductor size is just one of them. As the cable run is short, the insulation is heat resistant coupled with the fact that the element has a high temperature cut out stat this cable choice is considered acceptable (between the immersion switch and the element).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    Dual element (2 and 3 kw) immersion elements are normally supplied with heat resistant 4 core 1.5 mm sq. flex

My understanding is:
    The current carrying capacity of a cable depends on a number of factors, conductor size is just one of them. As the cable run is short, the insulation is heat resistant coupled with the fact that the element has a high temperature cut out stat this cable choice is considered acceptable (between the immersion switch and the element).
    It should also be remembered that the immersion heater is a fixed load and therefore overload is not possible, therefore the circuit protection need only provide fault protection and not overload protection. On the face of it (bearing in mind I am not familiar with the installation, installation methods or components used) I see no issue with 1.5mm^2 heat resistant flex, and indeed I would suggest that this is not uncommon with immersions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It should also be remembered that the immersion heater is a fixed load and therefore overload is not possible, therefore the circuit protection need only provide fault protection and not overload protection.

What do you mean by the bit in bold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    It should also be remembered that the immersion heater is a fixed load and therefore overload is not possible, therefore the circuit protection need only provide fault protection and not overload protection.

What do you mean by the bit in bold?
    Like an electric shower, the immersion is a fixed load. The element means that it can only draw what current it will draw. Overload isn't possible. Fault protection is required (short circuit and earth fault protection). Therefore if the protective devices provide fault protection and the flex is suitable for the load then there is no issue.

Like an electric shower, the immersion is a fixed load. The element means that it can only draw what current it will draw. Overload isn't possible. Fault protection is required (short circuit and earth fault protection). Therefore if the protective devices provide fault protection and the flex is suitable for the load then there is no issue.

Ok, I know what you mean now. Definitely reduced risk of an overland alright.
    I was thinking I have seen situations where cables have been undersized for fixed loads (around 1.2 kA of heat tracing when it was designed for 1.2 kA). I have also seen immersion element stats fail casting the water in the cylinder to boil and cables to fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There is a slight difference, as only one part of the immersion element should be on at a time. In theory, possible overload. Reality, unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

Thanks for the replies , no harm to check these things from time to time.

Advertisement