Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarriage - Manual Evacuation?

Options
  • 23-05-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I very recently had a miscarriage that resulted in me ending up in A&E with low blood pressure issues. When there the doctors told me somebody from gynae would come along and I would be scanned to see if I had in fact miscarried (I knew I had due to blood loss and severe cramping).
    When the doctor arrived she did not scan me but she said she was going to physically check me and then she said she was going to put her hand inside me to remove the 'product' (hospital terminology not mine). I was distraught at the time and in the triage area where critical cases were being treated behind a curtain beside me. To be honest I hadn't a clue what was going on.
    Within seconds she removed all the tissue and proceeded to show me. This was not a private area and not sterile either.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Why was there no scan and no offer to do a D&C. I really feel like this can't be normal and I'm quite sore since because there was a good bit of rummaging around inside.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have never heard of that.It sounds awful.
    I am not sure what to suggest other than to complain.
    I wonder should you get looked at -scanned, checked- too anyway?
    Was the doctor Irish, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

This is definitely a known way of emptying the uterus if the cervix is open . It is much quicker than going to theatre and avoids the needs for general anaesthesia which has its own risks including lowering your blood pressure further. I assume the Dr was wearing sterile gloves.
    While the Dr should have given you the option of going to theatre and discussed those options with you, it is indeed an option to do this. Sorry to hear about your miscarriage I'm sure that's a very sad time for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sorry for your loss.

No, not standard procedure, and sounds like no informed consent either.

Write a letter to the hospital with that information, names, dates. Have that investigated please, so it does not happen to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

shesty wrote: »
    I have never heard of that.It sounds awful.
    I am not sure what to suggest other than to complain.
    I wonder should you get looked at -scanned, checked- too anyway?
    Was the doctor Irish, by any chance?

No the doctor wasn't Irish, does that make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭lost_for_words

pwurple wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss.

No, not standard procedure, and sounds like no informed consent either.

Write a letter to the hospital with that information, names, dates. Have that investigated please, so it does not happen to others.

Yes I think I will send in a complaint. I really wouldn't like it to happen to anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No the doctor wasn't Irish, does that make a difference?

Not in the least, no.That was just my own curiousity.I didn't think they were Irish.
    I can see how it could be a way for them to clear stuff alright but to be honest my first thought was of the 8th amendment.....admittedly it's front and centre right now, but I would find it highly unusual that a doctor would just clear the womb on your word of a miscarraige without checking first with a scanner or something.Obviously it is something that can be done, I don't doubt that.Just seems like most medical people I have come across in gynae etc. would never do anything like that without some sort of check first, and highly unlikely they would do it on the spot in an A&E like that.
    I could be assuming way too much, but it seems rather unusual that it was done in such manner alright, and yes, you should complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

OP, can you talk to your GP about this? It does sound completely unreasonable that a scan wasn't performed. And utterly unreasonable that you did not have an option in relation to your care. Was there any other person (nurse or doctor) present during this procedure? You poor thing, it really sounds like they made a tragic event all the more horrific with how you were treated.

Request your notes asap. Fill in any blanks or inconsistencies while they are still fresh in your mind. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 marcusgunn

I have worked in this field and I can assure you what the doctor did is relatively standard procedure. If product of conception visible, best practice to remove it there and then. May have lacked in communication though.

Advertisement