Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTi 2013

Options
  • 23-05-2018 7:00pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on this model. A local garage is selling one and it's ticking all the boxes for me but wondered what ye think?

It's a while since I bought a car and I was a bit taking aback by the lack of a spare wheel. Would there be room for one if I sourced a spare?

Also, no USB socket. Not a big deal, but again can that be resolved?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

I had a similar car - a 2012 Astra GTC 1.7 diesel and never gave any trouble over the 3 years I had it. The engine itself is an updated version of an old design used in Izuzu motors since the 80's, but is considered pretty bulletproof. You will need to watch out for DPF problems though - a lot will depend how the car you are looking at was treated. I had a space saver spare wheel with mine, so you should have room for one. Surprised at the lack of a USB socket - I don't know of any easy way around this but you can get an Opel USB kit (I think this is the right one), and you will likely need a dealer to fit it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Great stuff Darwin - I found similar positive reviews searching the web.

The car I'm looking at is one previous owner and spotless inside and out so I'm hopeful it was well treated.

I usually try and do my own servicing - brakes, oil change, filters etc. - any issues there?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

The 1.7s have the M32 gearbox, have a google of it. Might happen, might not. If you were otherwise happy with the car it might be ok if you budgeted for that potentially needing seeing to.

They've a good chassis, interior isn't the worst if a bit cheap in places and they're comfortable. I would be expecting to pay less than an equivalent Golf or Focus, price one yourself from the UK. They are very cheap there.

Thanks Gustavo.

The one I'm looking at is about 10k.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

My wife has a 1.3 diesel model of this car and it is almost faultless. The only issue she has is water coming in on the drivers A pillar which may mean there is a leak around the windscreen or the roof runners.

If there is no musty smell or sign of water coming in, then you should be good to go.

No USB, but the CD player can play MP3s on disc which I used when listening to music.

• Advertisement

No USB, but the CD player can play MP3s on disc which I used when listening to music.

It's not a deal breaker but it'd be nice to be able to plug the ipod in directly.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Hermy wrote: »
    It's not a deal breaker but it'd be nice to be able to plug the ipod in directly.

A decent Bluetooth FM Transmitter into the cigarette lighter would solve that

Advertisement