Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Disc removal

Options
  • 23-05-2018 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Bit stumped on this one and dont want to damage anything with force. Im in the process of changing the rear disc splash guard on my VW Touran ( failed nct due to corrosion ) I have removed the caliper, M18 spindle nut and the torx nut on the disc. Am I missing something or should a good whack loosen the disc? It does not seem to want to move so far.

5n1aao.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

These feckers can be rusted on pretty good. I have had to take a rubber mallet to them on many occasions.

You may not have to give it welly, just spin disc and give it a good whack until you have gone around the disc once or twice.
    Should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

biko wrote: »
    These feckers can be rusted on pretty good. I have had to take a rubber mallet to them on many occasions.

You may not have to give it welly, just spin disc and give it a good whack until you have gone around the disc once or twice.
    Should do it.

That worked. Unfortunately it seems the hub has to come off to fit the new splash guard. Any nack to this? Two of the torx screws rounded also so they will need a work around to remove. If removing the hub is a big deal I may just put it back together and let a mech take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

In some cases a splash guard can be cut a bit to slip it on without a need to remove a hub.

Like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

joujoujou wrote: »
    In some cases a splash guard can be cut a bit to slip it on without a need to remove a hub.

Like here.

Thanks. The screws were so corroded they rounded on me:o At this stage im just waiting for a mechanic to get back to me to get it done soon. I wonder if they were not replaced would the NCT crowd still fail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Thanks. The screws were so corroded they rounded on me:o At this stage im just waiting for a mechanic to get back to me to get it done soon. I wonder if they were not replaced would the NCT crowd still fail it.

I was in a similar position recently and threw it in knowing full well dust shields were rotten through. It passed :eek: Although I think they're a ridiculous fail point and do sweet fa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Are they cracks through the discs? May just be the picture but looks like they might need replacement too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I was in a similar position recently and threw it in knowing full well dust shields were rotten through. It passed :eek: Although I think they're a ridiculous fail point and do sweet fa.

They're one of the NCT money spinning fails so they're very important (for the NCT crowd) and theyre equally important on the car, can you imagine if someone got stuck under your car and you drove off and they were trying to claw their way out to one side and accidentally touched a hot disc and burnt their hand in the process. They are very important in situations like that.

Advertisement