Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change profile

Options
  • 23-05-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

i have 275/35 on the rear and 235/30 on the front

will it make any difference to speedo/handling if i change them all to /35 profile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

blingrhino wrote: »

will it make any difference to speedo/handling if i change them all to /35 profile.

Well yeah, the front will sit higher than it does now.

What do you want to achieve by changing the size?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blingrhino wrote: »

Yes. 35% of 235 is different to 35% of 235 on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I'm assuming due to the sizes and fact that the rears are bigger, OP has a high performance RWD car. Aren't speedos run off the gearbox and thus the unchanged rears? No idea about handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭ongarite

Presume OP has an BMW E60 or F10 based on wheel sizes.
    Don't think going 235 on the rears will work as the staggered setup means the rim is physically wider.
    Don't know if you can stretch a 235 tyre that much to fit on the wider rim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I read the OP as wanting to change from 235/30 to 235/35 on the front and leave the rear as is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I read the OP as wanting to change from 235/30 to 235/35 on the front and leave the rear as is?

Correct.E220 merc so no high performance here !

The fronts are a bit crashy when hitting bad surface so was thinking by increasing the profile would result in a smoother ride ?

Keeping the higher profile all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To match up the rear ride height with the front you also need to increase the profile on rear tyres.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ongarite wrote: »
    Presume OP has an BMW E60 or F10 based on wheel sizes.
    Don't think going 235 on the rears will work as the staggered setup means the rim is physically wider.
    Don't know if you can stretch a 235 tyre that much to fit on the wider rim.

The BMW set up is 275 30 and 245 35 for their 19” option on both the E60 and F10.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Very odd setup.
    The current size is 70mm high profile on front and 96mm high on rear.
    Plenty room for increasing front profile in my opinion.
    Typically on stuff with mixed wheels, the higher profile goes on the narrower front wheel to closely match sidewall height front to back. You currently have the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sticking with the 275 35 rears, 235 40 would be the right tyre for the front.

Advertisement