Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What backend options with a typical hosting company

Options
  • 23-05-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

I wish to create a website where the first page lists a set of links for thousands of surnames, with each link bringing the client to a specific surname page containing stats for that surname.

So I need a backend to read the surname data from a database and provide this data to the frontend. What databases do hosting companies typically support? I currently have the data in a sqlite database. I'd then like to provide the data to the frontend using rest/json. What infrastructure do hosting companies typically offer in this regard? I have used node.js previously to mock a backend rest api and I really liked it. I am also a python programmer so I would be interested in python solutions. Are such options available with Irish hosting companies and if not what infrastructure typically exists?

Thanks,
    Barra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

We aren't allowed to talk about specific hosting providers, however what you've described is more along the lines of a private server, or a collection of services.

All very capable of being done with any hosting company.

The thing is though, you need to know what you want and be able to put it together first, before looking at hosting.

DB-wise, MySQL/Postgres/MariaDB are all viable options and readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is this for a hobby or is it a production level hosting you are looking for?

If you look at the shared hosting environments, the common offering will be PHP and MySQL on a Linux host.

Depending on your needs a PAAS offering like Heroku might be a better fit. Out of the box their platform supports Ruby, Go, PHP, Python, NodeJS, Java, Clojure and Scala. They use Postgresql for their database (first 10k database rows are free) and also offer a Redis tier. You can evaluate the platform easily because they offer a decent level of service for their free tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Most "shared" hosting companies will offer:
    MySQL (or MariaDB)
    If they offer Windows servers they'll probably offer MS SQL
    Some will offer PostgreSQL, though it's not terribly popular
    If you want to use SQLite on most hosting companies it wouldn't be an issue

HTH

Michele

Advertisement