Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van insurance and tax

Options
  • 23-05-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Im looking to get a small van to use as day to day vechile, that I can also throw a mattress in the back for a weekend away. Probably citreon dispatch 1.6 diesel. I won't be doing a full camper conversion or anything. I would also be using the van for voluntary environmental work.
    I dont think I'm entitled to apply for commercial insurance.
    What is the best way to tax and insure it? Will it be much more expensive than tax and insurance for a car?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The initial difficulty will be getting insurance cover on a commercial for private use. Phone around first before buying anything.
    As far as tax is concerned, you will pay private category by the size of the engine irrespective of year or emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Thanks for the reply, how would I find out how much private tax would be? And what would I need to qualify for commercial insurance and tax instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks for the reply, how would I find out how much private tax would be? And what would I need to qualify for commercial insurance and tax instead?

Commercial tax is based on cc of the vehicle. To get commercial insurance you need to provide them with a reason why you need it which for most is that their job requires a van, for someone who doesn't require a van for work it requires lying to get insurance.

BTW why do you want a van? An estate car would be cheaper to tax and insure and provide the space with more comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

No problem insuring a van even if it is taxed privately. The two are not linked what so ever in the insurance eyes and the only issue where you might have to seek out commercial insurance if you plan not to carry your own goods in your vehicle. Have been doing it for years. Much cheaper to buy a new van than a new estate and very handy for those weekend trips you speak of.

Thanks guys, an estate is not going to cut it really, with a dog and a child a small van would be perfect. I also do voluntary work for clean coasts and a van would make that much easier, but I guess that wouldnt be viewed as a commercial enterprise? Im a student at the minute and will be working for the summer that would legitimately need a van for carrying monitoring equipment and samples etc. Would that qualify me for commercial? I obviously don't want to do anything illegal but don't understand why its so hard to get private insurance for a small van

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, an estate is not going to cut it really, with a dog and a child a small van would be perfect. I also do voluntary work for clean coasts and a van would make that much easier, but I guess that wouldnt be viewed as a commercial enterprise? Im a student at the minute and will be working for the summer that would legitimately need a van for carrying monitoring equipment and samples etc. Would that qualify me for commercial? I obviously don't want to do anything illegal but don't understand why its so hard to get private insurance for a small van

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

I'm a van owner and motor tax is a flat rate of €333 https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do

You'll need to provide evidence you're going to use the vehicle for it's taxation class - commercial - and sign a declaration of exclusive use for this purpose.

Commercial vehicle insurance rates have come down recently and a policy includes social, domestic and pleasure use despite it not being taxed for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Carnmore wrote: »

Commercial vehicle insurance rates have come down recently and a policy includes social, domestic and pleasure use despite it not being taxed for that purpose.

Do you need to prove to the insurance that you are a business in order to get
    Commercial Insurance?
    Or is ownership of a commercial van enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

d15ude wrote: »
    Do you need to prove to the insurance that you are a business in order to get
    Commercial Insurance?
    Or is ownership of a commercial van enough?

Nope, they don't care.

They'll just ask what type of goods - food & alcohol delivery, etc will attract a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Insurers will often ask for a VAT number or copy of business stationery to prove a business is genuine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tphase

deleted

Advertisement