Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road ramps

Options
  • 23-05-2018 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been getting contradicting information on how to approach ramps therefore I wanted to get your opinion: Should I gently used the brakes before reaching the ramp and then accelerating once on it or should I completely avoid using the breaks and only release the accelerator before reaching the ramp?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Speed ramps are to enforce a suitable speed in urban areas.
    Just stay at a speed that's appropriate for speed bumps.
    So keep your speed constant and only increase speed when you have reached a safer area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Which ever is adaquite at the time. Basically you don't want a rollercoaster ride over the ramp, this can happen even if your going a reasonable speed.

So sometimes I break, sometimes I don't need to break and roll over them, sometimes you might need a bit of power on reaching the peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

tuxy wrote: »
    Speed ramps are to enforce a suitable speed in urban areas.
    Just stay at a speed that's appropriate for speed bumps.
    So keep your speed constant and only increase speed when you have reached a safer area.

Hi,

That is not the way I see them. To me, they are an abomination. I am a good enough driver to know what is a safe speed through built up areas. Speed ramps are unnecessary, councils should be charged with vandalism for building obstructions across the road.

When I was an instructor I taught my pupils to treat them like any other nasty hazard, like say a pothole. Negotiate them whichever way would minimise any potential damage to your car, apart from that ignore them.

To deter speeders councils should erect speed CAMERAS, not ramps. And also the penalties for excessive speed through built up areas should be drastically increased. Confiscate and crush the car used for a start.

See:-
    Irish Independent Speed Ramps 1

Irish Independent Speed Ramps 2

and

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

The powers that be in my family tell me that I should be in 2nd gear going over ramps .

My car has had broken springs / bushels , all due to ramps which fail NCT

Advertisement