Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Excessive - Return car to the UK

Options
  • 22-05-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi Folks,

I brought in a 1989 merc through the UK last month. Presented it to NCT for VRT expecting to pay €720 in VRT as quoted by the VRT calculator. NCT referred it to Revenue and they are looking for €1368.

Excessive. Do you know if I can return it to the UK or lay it up in Northern Ireland for 10 months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Hi Folks,

I brought in a 1989 merc through the UK last month. Presented it to NCT for VRT expecting to pay €720 in VRT as quoted by the VRT calculator. NCT referred it to Revenue and they are looking for €1368.

Excessive. Do you know if I can return it to the UK or lay it up in Northern Ireland for 10 months?

U could find a storage shed up north and maybe store it there. Preferably with someone who starts and runs the cars. Is it a cosworth by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Do you not need to import it within a certain time since purchased.

If so would this work?
    What proof would you need?

I may be completely wrong

EDIT info added
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Once presented for inspection it's on the system, so parking it up is just going to amass fines once over the 30 days. You could sell back to the UK/north and be done with it, or pay the VRT and then appeal it if you can prove it's worth less than the omsp revenue have applied to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

This is why we can't have nice things. €1400 on a 30 year old car. Robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lord Nikon wrote: »

That is pretty bloody ridiculous tbh.

There is no reason this should be allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

It would be 50 euro next year. Should have waited! Now that your here id just pay it. The cost of bringing it back to the UK and trying to sell it and get your money back could cost more than 1500 blips.
    You can always appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

listermint wrote: »
    That is pretty bloody ridiculous tbh.

There is no reason this should be allowed.

But that's what you signed up for with the various gubbermints that get voted in.

Perspective is that if you were buying a 1993 G Class it would knock you back 30k here anyway, so depends on cost in the UK

If you think that's bad, the likes of a 90 Nissan skyline r32 Gtr will set you back about 10k in VRT now, obviously madness to import at present with your head in the sand, but I'm sure there's plenty other cars nearing vintage rates with ridiculous prices on them.

OP what was it that you bought and did the model differ in anyway from the one listed on the calculator? E.g manual but auto on the online quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

5500 wrote: »
    Once presented for inspection it's on the system, so parking it up is just going to amass fines once over the 30 days.

So are you saying that there's no way it can come off the system again?

In this scenario OP could sell it onto someone up North, who then sells it on to another unsuspecting punter who wants to bring it down south...and gets screwed?

Surely that's not how it works or is the system actually that buggered?

(or is it on the system in OP's name specifically? In which case storing it somewhere and getting someone else to register it would be an option?)

It's on revenues system via the chassis number, so not tied by past persons name, although the information on who presented it will be there. I've no idea how long their database is kept, but I'd imagine it's longer than a few months and possibly indefinitely.

I don't know how revenue would view it if you sold it back to the north or UK only for a different person to come along down the line, buy it and take it down south to try register it themselves, I would imagine they take it on a case by case basis and if you provided the receipts/date of entry to the state to prove it was all legit, you may get the past fees waived, but I wouldn't like to try tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JeepsDublin

The models a S124 200TE, VRT website says is €720 but it has 7 seats so they referred to revenue. €200 euro vrt next year. Was willing to go the extra but not €1368 now quoted.

I have written to NCT requesting cancellation of the import process so I can remove it from the state.

See what happens..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What is such a car worth though? I’m guessing they reckon it’s worth €4k

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What is such a car worth though? I’m guessing they reckon it’s worth €4k

Real world, entry 200TE between €2000 - €2500. Similar condition 200E saloon €1200 - €1500

• Registered Users Posts: 73,392 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can you appeal it then? Have you got similar ones to compare to?

Is this UK one overpriced?
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C897118

Actually here’s one for half that, I guess they vary
    https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C916012

I spoke with NCT and they advised that I cannot cancel the import process.

Options
    1. Remove the car from the state asap
    or
    2. Pay VRT and appeal

I asked will it be removed from the VRT database if removed from the state and they advised no. If I brought it back I would need a) prove that it was removed i.e. car transporter and b) that it was taxed and insured when outside the state. Otherwise I would have to pay penalties. Note I am not sure if the tax and insurance is really true however that's what they advised.

I took option 2. Given the burden of proof, potential penalties and revenue hassle factor of bringing back in.

LESSON - Don't sign the Declaration of import form that NCT give you when you present the car until the query is answered by revenue. Then it maybe possible to not enter the importation process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I spoke with NCT and they advised that I cannot cancel the import process.

Options
    1. Remove the car from the state asap
    or
    2. Pay VRT and appeal

I asked will it be removed from the VRT database if removed from the state and they advised no. If I brought it back I would need a) prove that it was removed i.e. car transporter and b) that it was taxed and insured when outside the state. Otherwise I would have to pay penalties. Note I am not sure if the tax and insurance is really true however that's what they advised.

I took option 2. Given the burden of proof, potential penalties and revenue hassle factor of bringing back in.

LESSON - Don't sign the Declaration of import form that NCT give you when you present the car until the query is answered by revenue. Then it maybe possible to not enter the importation process.

Appeal the amount now that you have it VRT'd. Find similar/same cars on UK websites and show the value of them. If there are any for sale here, do the same. The appeals people are generally very fair and if you can show you have been overcharged, they will refund you the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If an extra €600 is causing a problem then I'm not sure a classic Merc is for you to be honest :(

Advertisement