Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car struggling up hill/when accelerator is pressed

Options
  • 22-05-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Bit of a strange one this. Essentially, my car is struggling when going up hill or if I press the accelerator too much...it kind of starts shaking and I have to ease off. Not a massive deal, unless I'm going across steep mountains but it definitely feels off/different to when I first got it (2 years ago)

It's an 09 Hyundai i20 so while I'm not expecting it to be a beast but my girlfriend's 06 hatchback has more power!

The garage did a check up and all seemed fine and it recently passed the NCT :confused:

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Clutch on the way out?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Esel wrote: »
    Clutch on the way out?

My thoughts too, we'd most likely be right if it was 30 years ago but not sure about modern vehicles.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

My thoughts too, we'd most likely be right if it was 30 years ago but not sure about modern vehicles.

In what way is a clutch slipping going to be different in a modern car as compared to one of 30 years ago?
    None

OP, if when you are going up hill the engine speed ( which you can see on the rev counter or will know by the noise) goes up but the car does not go faster in a proportionate way then your clutch is slipping and needs replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

In what way is a clutch slipping going to be different in a modern car as compared to one of 30 years ago?
    None

OP, if when you are going up hill the engine speed ( which you can see on the rev counter or will know by the noise) goes up but the car does not go faster in a proportionate way then your clutch is slipping and needs replacement.

I would imagine it’s prob more the flywheel if it’s shaking that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

None

Unlike yourself, I'm not an authority on changes in automobile clutch design over the last 30 years.

That's why I stated I'm not sure.

Could be the flywheel though, heh,heh,heh.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Ok I'm going to ask a possibly stupid question but are you using the gears correctly, ie dropping a gear or two if going up a steep hill and not having the engine labouring in 5/6th gear at lower speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Fair comment but yes, definitely using the gears right!

I drive my girlfriend's car occasionally and have no such issues so definitely something mechanically at fault with mine.

Thanks for the replies so far. The engine is 1.2 BTW.

The best description I can give is that it just feels like it doesn't have enough power. It drives fine otherwise - drove to Cork and back recently with no issues at all.

Advertisement