Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop to repair appliance cable?

Options
  • 22-05-2018 6:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anybody know where I could get a cable repaired in Dublin that was burned by a George foreman? And how muxh that might be? Ahould be able tp cut and splice it back together? https://imgur.com/a/xMQdQWw

EDIT: oops wrong forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭meercat

Instead of getting it repaired,could you cut the cable completely and fit a new plug on it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's an nespresso frother, looks like this, so not detachable:

Nespresso-Aeroccino-3-Milk-Frother-with-Base.jpg

I guess somebody could take it apart and try and fit a new one, not sure how it is sealed up, must take a look.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I guess somebody could take it apart and try and fit a new one, not sure how it is sealed up, must take a look.

Nope, not the way to do it. Units such as this are not designed to be opened up.

Meercat's suggestion is good. That is definitely what I would do.
    Will there be enough cable length if you do this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What do you mean, it's just screwed together, the internals wouldn't be too friendly to replacement? Thanks, that sounds good, it would only lose a few inches off a 3 foot cable. I'll look up how you do that or somewhere to get it done.

I also see the actual wiring isn't damaged, it's just exposed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What do you mean, it's just screwed together, the internals wouldn't be too friendly to replacement?

Generally items such as this are not designed to facilitate this. There are exceptions.
    Thanks, that sounds good, it would only lose a few inches off a 3 foot cable. I'll look up how you do that or somewhere to get it done.

Cut the cable at the damaged point and replace the plug. I’m sure there is a video online that will show how to fit a plug.
    I also see the actual wiring isn't damaged, it's just exposed.

It may be possible to repair with heat shrink, but I wouldn’t bother.

• Advertisement

Awesome, thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

2011 wrote: »
    Nope, not the way to do it. Units such as this are not designed to be opened up.

Meercat's suggestion is good. That is definitely what I would do.
    Will there be enough cable length if you do this?

Most likely there are 3 or 4 tri wing screws holding this together. If he can get it apart easily, what's the difference in wiring it from the plug end or the fitting end

cletus wrote: »
    Most likely there are 3 or 4 tri wing screws holding this together. If he can get it apart easily, what's the difference in wiring it from the plug end or the fitting end

Opening the unit sounds simple enough.
    We have no idea how it is terminated internally. I guess that you are assuming that the flex is terminated into screw terminals? This is generally not the case. Even if it is sometimes units such as this are not that easy to reassemble.
    In summary, why take the risk?

Advertisement