Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler burner replacement - cost/options?

Options
  • 22-05-2018 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I was hoping someone might have some advice for me as Im clueless on plumbing stuff. I have an oil boiler (a Firebird Enviromax) for about 10 years. The heating suddenly went a few days ago and the plumber e says the best thing is to replace the burner and that it will be around €500 to install. Might there be other options to look at? We're hoping to move out in the next 12 months so don't necessarily want to have to pay towards a 10 year fix if it's not essential.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

That is usually the worst option and lazy to boot. I say usually, because I don't know the details. What is wrong with the old one? They are all repairable. A lot can be done for half what he quoted. It boils down to how bad it is. Those boilers are fine if well maintained, otherwise they can deteriorate rapidly.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

sandy2000 wrote: »
    I was hoping someone might have some advice for me as Im clueless on plumbing stuff. I have an oil boiler (a Firebird Enviromax) for about 10 years. The heating suddenly went a few days ago and the plumber e says the best thing is to replace the burner and that it will be around €500 to install. Might there be other options to look at? We're hoping to move out in the next 12 months so don't necessarily want to have to pay towards a 10 year fix if it's not essential.[/QU
    You need a proper service technician to look at it. A 10 year old burner should not need replaceing.And no a new burner fitted would not cost 500 fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sandy2000

Thanks for the help. I had a feeling it was being done as the easy and expensive job. The boiler was serviced just over a year ago (with a different guy) and it was fine at the time. Unfortunately I dont know enough to second-guess what the guy has told me. There's oil in the tank and it sounds like it starts when you press the red light on the front of the burner but he says it's not igniting it.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, Id be grateful for the PMs.

Do you have a printout from the last service? What make of boiler and burner do you have? Upload a boiler picture somewhere and pm the link to me and I will put it up here. What area are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

any of the main components that might and I say might need replacing would be under 200eu supplied and fitted

second opinion time me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thanks for the help. I had a feeling it was being done as the easy and expensive job. The boiler was serviced just over a year ago (with a different guy) and it was fine at the time. Unfortunately I dont know enough to second-guess what the guy has told me. There's oil in the tank and it sounds like it starts when you press the red light on the front of the burner but he says it's not igniting it.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, Id be grateful for the PMs.

Have you checked the filter ?

This can also sounds like a fueling issue. If the filter on the fuel line is blocked, Or the line is blocked in anyway then it could result in the same problem.

If you here it igniting or see a flame then its igniting. But there isnt enough fuel to get it going.

Could be simple, but could equally be a bad burner.

Thanks everyone. Ill try and get a photo when I get home later. I have a receipt from the last service (no report) that says the boiler is a Firebird Enviromax Popular C26.

Ill also see if I can look at the things you're suggesting listermint. Thanks a million.

Thanks everyone. Ill try and get a photo when I get home later. I have a receipt from the last service (no report) that says the boiler is a Firebird Enviromax Popular C26.

Ill also see if I can look at the things you're suggesting listermint. Thanks a million.
    Video of burner

https://vimeo.com/271483073

sounds like its going through prepurge and ignition

so at a guess it could be a fuel supply issue

possible blocked nozzle

fuel pump would need to confirm no water contamination in tank before changing

is it my imagination or is red light showing on control box ???

Thanks to you both. Do you mean the circular red light showing on the front jim? That is showing red alright. Its the button that was pressed to run the sequence in the video.

• Advertisement

ive seen this once before but the burner was and still is working perfect

maybe something that needs to be ruled out

jimf wrote: »
    ive seen this once before but the burner was and still is working perfect

maybe something that needs to be ruled out

It seems to be following the "flame not established" routine to the second.

Needs a pressure gauge and multimeter to check it properly. OR the auld fashioned way :eek:

don't think its a control box issue

they usually fail with constant running of motor without ignition

or going to lockout within about 5/6 sec of being switched on

as stated above by wb needs proper test equipment attached

but to hazard a guess fuel pump

Thanks jim. First step sounds like it's to get someone out who knows what they're doing then. Anyone any recommendations for the Dun Laoghaire area?

If it was a fuel pump, what's the rough cost I should be thinking about?

max 200 eu unless you have tank contamination

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

jimf wrote: »
    max 200 eu unless you have tank contamination

Full service & cleaning, nozzle, water test, oil pump, emissions testing and receipt €220 down my way. Or so I hear.
    €35 extra to remove water from oil tank and blow clear oil pipe.

As for red lockout light always on, black lockout wire is connected to a live supply in the thermostat, it shouldn't be.
    That's the normal cause. :)

Ehhh
    None of ye experts notice the flue?

As for red lockout light always on, black lockout wire is connected to a live supply in the thermostat, it shouldn't be.
    That's the normal cause.

not in the one I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

there is a guy in be at called jimmy cullen he does oil repairs and will get you fixed up without robbing you .he covers South dublim

Advertisement