Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The plight of Irish car insurance rules

Options
  • 22-05-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭

I'm racking my brain trying to get any sort of quote on a car in Ireland.
    I want to purchase a newer car in Ireland which myself and the parents will use but at some stage I'll bring over with me to Poland by the end of the year.
    I cannot for the life of me get a quote from an insurance company which isn't downright insulting.
    I've had quotes ranging from 8k to 2k with a 3k excess...
    FBD with whom I was insured with for 2 years flat out refused to quote me as my NCB had expired and I need min 1 year for them to quote.
    My parents rang their own insurance company to add another car but they said no named drivers can be added so that's a no go.
    Surely to God insurance companies can't run around taking the piss by quoting immensely unrealistic prices?
    For example, I was able to get a quote on a 2.5T S80 (the 3k excess one) but was not able to get a quote on a 1.6 diesel Kia.
    Simply madness.
    I can't even use the discounts I've built up in Poland as 1) they aren't assigned in the same way as in Ireland and 2) most insurers have refused to accept them as NCB.
    So, is my idea essentially dead in the water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When I moved to Ireland I bought a tiny 10 year old car and wasn't able to get insurance on it with my EU-license. I don't know if you live in Ireland for longer than 12 months but most companies won't insure you when it's less than that. There was only one company that offered me insurance at that point and that was north of 5k.
    My driving experience wasn't taken into account either.

If you want to buy a newer car somewhere, don't do it in Ireland because the left-hand drive is such a pain on the mainland, I'd go and look for another car there. I sold my 2011 car before I moved because I didn't want to have that hassle trying to insure it and still have a right-hand drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm racking my brain trying to get any sort of quote on a car in Ireland.
    I want to purchase a newer car in Ireland which myself and the parents will use but at some stage I'll bring over with me to Poland by the end of the year.
    I cannot for the life of me get a quote from an insurance company which isn't downright insulting.
    I've had quotes ranging from 8k to 2k with a 3k excess...
    FBD with whom I was insured with for 2 years flat out refused to quote me as my NCB had expired and I need min 1 year for them to quote.
    My parents rang their own insurance company to add another car but they said no named drivers can be added so that's a no go.
    Surely to God insurance companies can't run around taking the piss by quoting immensely unrealistic prices?
    For example, I was able to get a quote on a 2.5T S80 (the 3k excess one) but was not able to get a quote on a 1.6 diesel Kia.
    Simply madness.
    I can't even use the discounts I've built up in Poland as 1) they aren't assigned in the same way as in Ireland and 2) most insurers have refused to accept them as NCB.
    So, is my idea essentially dead in the water?

Insure in Poland, print a disc yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

grogi wrote: »

Can't insure a foreign reg car in Poland? And I imagine the guards wouldn't take it too lightly that I'm fraudulently printing an insurance disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Have you checked all options of insurers not willing to accept your Polish NCB.
    Fact that NCB works in slightly different way, shouldn't matter.

My NCB from Poland was accepted without any problems by Aviva (Hibernian then) in 2007.
    Also Allianz have accepted NCB from Poland from some people I know. (that was around 2011 - 2013).

Maybe something changed, but I'd still be just ringing around insurers and trying to find one which will accept your Polish NCB.

Just make sure that you have adequate NCB statement from Poland and it's English translation (shouldn't cost more than 50zl in Poland to have it translated).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

grogi wrote: »

While Polish insurers used to issue 30 days policies for foreign registered cars (only for Polish residents), but they don't so it anymore for RHD cars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement