Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards AMA Week 5 - SlickRic

Options
  • 22-05-2018 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

It's here, albeit a day late - PW Boards AMA Week 5!

Big thanks to last weeks contestant Advanced Gh0st. This week we have winner of the Ric Flair Award for Best Rant 2017, the one and only SlitchardRichard *though he's known by his less formal title here, SlickRic.

Have at him folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What's your favorite Roman Reigns match?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,071 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Loughc wrote: »
    What's your favorite Roman Reigns match?

i will answer this seriously :D

His first WM match against Brock still stands out. I will repeat, I've nowt against him as a performer. He's actually great. It's his booking that is depressing.

But yeah, that WM match was incredible. Hard hitting. Intense. Meaning something. I can't say he should've won as the Seth cash-in was so legendary, but there was a chance there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

If you could pick one wrestler from the different 'eras' (ike attitude, ruthless aggression etc) who you think was underused and deserved a bigger push, who would they be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

What is the one piece of technology that you cannot do without?

Your favourite meal (death row meal i suppose?)

Who are the greatest tag team ever?

If you were stranded on a desert island, and could bring one book, one movie and one album with you, what do you bring?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

what is your own favourite rant you have gone on?

cause everyone else loves them

• Advertisement

If you could pick one wrestler from the different 'eras' (ike attitude, ruthless aggression etc) who you think was underused and deserved a bigger push, who would they be?

from the New Generation era, it has to be Owen Hart for me, even though that is maybe cliché. A superb antagonist. A punchable face. A great wrestler. Natural sense of humour, which means an awful lot, even as a heel. Bret did his best to get him to that next level, but Vince obviously just didn't see him as that next level guy. Pity.

from the Attitude Era, it's the Big Show for me. they fúcked that up. he should've been a special attraction kind of talent. this generation's Andre. but no, they had him beaten in one of his first nights in, and that was it. aura gone. he should've been pushed as the monster and freak he was, and he should've wrestled on selected occasions. they didn't get half the mileage out of him that they should have.

from the Ruthless Aggression era, it's MVP for me. they just never took the chance on him that they should have. i think he had a natural charisma, could work decently, and his feud with Matt was incredible. but Vince just never bothered pulling the trigger.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What is the one piece of technology that you cannot do without?

my phone. I do pretty much everything on it. I don't even bother with laptop or pad or anything like that. my phone does everything. it's probably stupid, but that's how it is.
    Your favourite meal (death row meal i suppose?)

Nothing ever beats a roast chicken dinner, with spuds, carrots, stuffing, gravy and Yorkshire puddings.

it's been that way since I was 13, and it'll never change.
    Who are the greatest tag team ever?

Easy - Arn and Tully. geniuses. proper pro-wrestling. worked a crowd like nobody else and could get anyone over.
    If you were stranded on a desert island, and could bring one book, one movie and one album with you, what do you bring?

i love the classics. it'd be Catcher in the Rye.

A close 2nd would go to Roald Dahl's collection of Short Stories.

sky88 wrote: »
    what is your own favourite rant you have gone on?

cause everyone else loves them

you never pick favourites with your children.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Smackdown, Raw, NXT which one do you burn to the ground, push to the moon, or leave as is

Favorite WWE Champion

Most underrated wrestler past and present (In your opinion)

Favorite heel

Favorite face

what wrestling trope that has faded away or been dropped would you bring back

Wrestling ability or Mic ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Being famous for rants what is it that keeps you watching WWE?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What you do in your spare time to relax?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Are you gonna feel honored when I formally change the Ric Flair Award for Best Rant to the SlickRic Award for Best Rant?

Smackdown, Raw, NXT which one do you burn to the ground, push to the moon, or leave as is

Smackdown - push to the moon
    though Road Dogg isn't the best booker in the world (being kind), I like the modicum of freedom the show has. it's not all branding. it's not all about pushing Vince's boner material. it's a chance for AJ, Nak, Usos etc to shine. the problem with Raw is that Vince is so preoccupied with it having a 'face of the company', that creative suffers because everything is just about making Reigns, Brock and the Authority strong and nothing else.

Raw - Burn to the ground
    I probably wouldn't quite burn it to the ground, but the show is far too fúcking long. It's main star is booked horrifically (and whatever you want to say, the way your star is booked is the most important). The wrestlers are subservient to the Authority, which makes me want to root for none of them.

Plus, the whole show is just an exercise in branding and marketing.

NXT - Keep it as is
    It's the only way it won't be ruined. And it's a perfect place to keep the hardcores somewhat happy. Just leave it alone.
    Favorite WWE Champion
    The Rock just pips Stone Cold for me. That run he had with HHH in 2000 was the reason I got really addicted to wrestling.
    Most underrated wrestler past and present (In your opinion)

Underrated past - Sid.
    A brilliant monster, who while he could be dangerous in the ring, was believable. He had an awesome look, could be carried to a decent main event, and some of his promo work was top notch. Watch this:

Underrated present - Cesaro.
    Not underrated by the Internet and hardcore fans, but certainly by those who should no better. he really does have it all.
    Favorite heel
    HHH 2000. I've never hated anybody more in pro wrestling. the ultimate prick.
    Favorite face
    Eddie Guerrero. while I preferred Rock as a champion and how he carried the belt, there was something so inherently likeable about Eddie in 2004. the more his character got 'real', the more he became impossible to boo.
    what wrestling trope that has faded away or been dropped would you bring back

forgive my stupidity, but what's a 'trope'? :(:(
    Wrestling ability or Mic ability?

Mic ability. Just.

But it's meaningless if you can't back it up in the ring.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Being famous for rants what is it that keeps you watching WWE?

Addiction. Once it's in your blood, it's hard to shake it.

I find that if you're a fan of something, you're always willing to give it a chance, now matter how much it batters you. WWE occastionally manage to give you a glimmer, and always suck you back in. it may only need to be a segment, but it can be enough.

also, the wrestling itself actually is decent. and on NXT it's exceptional.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What you do in your spare time to relax?

Watching all sort of sport - football, rugby, darts, basketball, American football.
    Playing 6 a side weekly.
    Early morning gym as often as I can.
    Hanging with wife and baby; particularly outdoors doing something.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Are you gonna feel honored when I formally change the Ric Flair Award for Best Rant to the SlickRic Award for Best Rant?

Embarrassed to be honest :pac:

I do it as it's therapeutic after watching that shít. And sure if the rants entertain, so be it. never thought people would get a kick out of something as random as my rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

SlickRic wrote: »
    Mic ability. Just.

But it's meaningless if you can't back it up in the ring.

On this, how would you rate Miz overall?

Any suggestions on how to bring people up from NXT and have them as over as they were there?

Do you think about what you're writing in your rants or just type as it comes into your head ans post without rereading?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    On this, how would you rate Miz overall?

Not great. Not awful, but should never be WWE Champion or anything close.

People say he's a good promo, but he's never talked me into a match in his life. he's just not believable. the closest he came was his serious stuff in the lead up to his WM match against Cena. but sure, we all watched that for the Rock anyway.

his Talking Smack stuff was great, and hopefully they use that exact line when he actually does face Bryan.

he can't back it up in the ring. while he's safe, and that has its merits, his offence isn't believable, and I just don't believe he's an athlete or can really hurt anybody.
    Any suggestions on how to bring people up from NXT and have them as over as they were there?

simply put, don't bring people up if you don't have a legitimate plan for them. The Shield was awesome because they just arrived and made an impact. Nexus was the same.

bringing people up, and just having them do matches hoping they'll be over is moronic. sometimes it's all you have for them, but more often than not, if you want someone on the main roster, it should be for a specific angle.
    Do you think about what you're writing in your rants or just type as it comes into your head ans post without rereading?

I just type as i think, and just go back once to correct typos. honestly, there is no great method to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

As I was a day late starting off with SlickRic, i'll let this run for another day, and started the next AMA from tomorrow.

Get your burning questions in folks!

Advertisement