Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike gear

Options
  • 22-05-2018 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

Hi lads only recently got into bikes, Im looking to pick up some gear, helmet jacket gloves pants boots the lot, what are good brands and ones to avoid, which is better leather or textile. What's a good brand of helmet

Also where is best to go in Cork for the gear

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Best helmet is the one that fits you properly. Make/model are secondary to that. Your head shape will usually determine what brand is best. For me, Shoei fits best. Arai, Schubert and a few others I tried just don't fit me correctly.

As for gear, it'll depend what you ride. Leathers wouldn't look right on an adventure bike, and textiles don't look right on a cruiser.

One option is to go casual - armoured jeans (fully lined), casual protective boots and a good jacket.

But, it will all depend on what you ride and what your style is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Paulw wrote: »
    Best helmet is the one that fits you properly. Make/model are secondary to that. Your head shape will usually determine what brand is best. For me, Shoei fits best. Arai, Schubert and a few others I tried just don't fit me correctly.

As for gear, it'll depend what you ride. Leathers wouldn't look right on an adventure bike, and textiles don't look right on a cruiser.

One option is to go casual - armoured jeans (fully lined), casual protective boots and a good jacket.

But, it will all depend on what you ride and what your style is.
    Thanks currently sv650, will call to a few places and see whats available

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Also, if you have a €2 head then by a €2 helmet! If not then......

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

jap gt wrote: »
    Hi lads only recently got into bikes, Im looking to pick up some gear, helmet jacket gloves pants boots the lot, what are good brands and ones to avoid, which is better leather or textile. What's a good brand of helmet

I'm a beginner as well so had to buy gear for the first time back in October.
    Like Paul suggested, I went for kevlar lined jeans with built in knee and side protection. I went for a textile jacket rather than leather, short gloves with knuckle and palm protection and short boots. My budget was limited enough so I plan to gradually upgrade my gear as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jap gt wrote: »

In Cork you've got 3 main places to get gear.

Lee Honda out in Little Island, probably have the biggest selection. Decent lads inside there, but no real craic out of them.

Ross Motorcycles just down from the Opera House (towards Blackpool). Small selection of stuff.

JT Motorcycles. Total pain in the ass to get to if you've never been there, but it's about halfway between Innishannon and Kinsale. John is a sound, sound lad especially when it comes to gear and offers good prices. He'll also talk your ear off if he likes you. Surprisingly good selection of jackets, suits, boots and some good helmet brands too (HJC, LS2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have the lot at this stage, you accumulate a lot of gear over time, so I have leathers, jeans, textiles etc. I would use textiles 99.9% of the time, they're waterproof and suitable for all scenarios and if the weather changes you don't need to. Most textiles are designed to go over your normal cloths too which is handy. textiles will get you started.

Get waterproof summer gloves now for the season and you can buy winter gloves later in the year.

Get waterproof boots, no need to spend a lot of money for your first pair but worth investing in your second pair as some top brands can last a lifetime.

You can get cheap lids that are safe too, check the sharp site for some guidance, https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/, fit is very very important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

If you can afford Daytona boots then go for them. Super comfy, truly waterproof and excellent quality. Bought mine in Maddocks in Bray for €380. Worth every penny imo.

Bought Hein Gericke textile pants and jackets in Germany for approximately €550. I think they have a branch in Belfast but Im not 100% sure if its still there. Oxford gear beforehand which was falling apart.

Cotters and Bikeworld have a decent selection of gloves, kevlar jeans and helmets.

Lee Honda is the only place I know in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tico1300

Have a look at Louis.de kind of like an Argos for bike stuff
    I was in Germany last week and went to one of their shops, bought a büse camo hoodie €170 and well worth it. I have a mix of gear leather and textiles for helmets it’s always been Arai for me, but everybody has different tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,694 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Got Sidi Adventure boots about 2 years ago 249 Sterling from sportsbike uk.

They are gortex, they are awesome and they have never leaked in the rain. And i commute everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I got a pair of these from Ross around October and have used them daily, surprisingly good pair of boots. Never had a drop of water get in them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diora-Hawk-Motorcycle-Boots-Black/dp/B00LJBJHBC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1527158157&sr=8-8&keywords=diora+motorcycle+boots

• Advertisement
Advertisement