Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FBD unable to give quote

Options
  • 22-05-2018 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

It's my renewal time and i've put in a few searches, tried one last night but it said unable to provide quote and to call them, just tried FBD now and same with them so i rang them, they said it was because of the age of the vehicle!!

I'm driving a 2010 renault megane 1.5 dci estate, i've full NCB, zero points, everything squeeky clean

Any idea's why they wont touch an 8yr old car??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think there's a few insurance companies that use 8 years as a cutof. Liberty is the same AFAIK.

Never heard it from FBD before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I had the same from FBD previously - wouldn't quote me on an 8 year old car. Roll on 3 years and the same car and they quoted me - but I think this is because of another policy I have on something unrelated with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Your must be joking ,surely they are not refusing to insure cars over 8 years old now,
    this is getting ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FBD made losses for years, I think this is an aim to become profitable. Cherry customers.

Which is ironic when you think back to their ‘no nonsense’ ads and how they caricatured insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I asked FBD for a quote for a 2008 motor last March and they quoted me no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

colm_mcm wrote: »
    FBD made losses for years, I think this is an aim to become profitable. Cherry customers.

They were highly profitable in motor insurance for years with a solid cohort of reliable customers, mainly consisting of their core rural base plus urban drivers with a relatively low claims record.

Their downfall was when they got greedy in the early 2000s and decided to increase their market share which you can only do in this market by undercutting your rivals.

So they launched nononsense.ie which was pitched at urban drivers who wanted cheap no-frills insurance. Other insurers appeared to be happy to offload those customers so FBD ended up with a lot of dross which cost them in terms of claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

wexie wrote: »
    I think there's a few insurance companies that use 8 years as a cutof. Liberty is the same AFAIK.

I'm insured with my 2001 Yaris with Liberty as of last month, and decent quote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

wexie wrote: »

Liberty have a 20 year cut-off for Cars and a 25 year cut-off for Commercials. Although they have skyrocketed their Premiums in the last few years they are still happy to insure older Vehicles.

Advertisement