Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Crossover for 182 with a scrappage offer?

Options
  • 22-05-2018 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Looking into offers on crossovers at the minute for my mother who is hoping to change her car, an 07 Accord with about 400k on the clock that is on its last legs.

There are a couple of caveats with the search, namely:
    - The brand would need to have a scrappage scheme for 182 (I know there are many such as Hyundai, Skoda, Peugeot etc.)
    - The car will be bought through the Disabled Passengers Scheme (Remission of vat/vrt up to 16k), she has previously bought throught the scheme but has always been for used car, decided to stretch to something new this time to maximise the benefit of it.

With this in mind, I am looking for recommendations from those in the know, particuarly those in the trade who know where there may be deals to be got on these models. The main criteria are price, comfort and reliability. Also, she is used to a 2.2 diesel for the last six years so hoping to avoid anything that has too small an engine, although I know most in this bracket are 1.5/1.6. She is also used to having decent spec with heated leather/ sunroof etc. on her current car so we're looking at the mid-spec options at the minimum even if they don't have leather.

At the minute the main contenders are:

Hyundai Tucson - She had a Santa Fe previously and is a fan of the Tucson, 4k scrappage is good and 5 year warranty is ideal

Ford Kuga - The current model is nice but would only consider with the 2.0 Diesel, bringing it way over budget on paper but I have heard on here that there is good deals on these in terms of discount? I know they have 4k scrappage offer too but wondering if one could expect more than this?

Nissan Qashqai - Nice looking car too, not sure if scrappage is still on or if there is much room for discount? Also, is the 1.6 diesel worth the premium over the 1.5?

Kia Sportage - Good Spec but no scrappage offer

Peugeot 3008 - My personal favourite, but not clear if this is included in the scrappage offer, also with the popularity of the 3008 I doubt dealers need to discount

Skoda Karoq - Looks the part and has 3.5k scrappage

Mazda CX 5 - Facelift model looks great but is fairly pricy, also not sure if the scrappage applies as it emits over 130g of co2.

Sorry I know theres a lot on info here but I'd appreciate the feedback from you folks :pac: She has stretched her budget and is looking for something that can take big mileage and will do her for many years to come, and while looks and comfort are important, she is hoping to get the best value she can. If anyone has experience buying any of the above in recent months and is happy to share their insight RE discount received/ ownership, please feel free.

Many thanks in advance guys and gals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seat Ateca offering €3000 scrappage and 0% pcp on FR and Elegance trim and 1.9% on SE. You have to go with 4 wheel drive models to get into a 2litre which pushes up the price a good bit. Will she still be doing the mileage to need a diesel? 1.4tsi is a very good engine 150bhp and still economical.

http://www.seat.ie/offers/new-car-offers/offers-overview.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since she is used to a Honda why not look at the CRV? The current model is being replaced later this year so there might be deals to be had on the existing model if driving a soon to be replaced model doesn't bother your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Lantus wrote:
    Yes but the customer has zero equity moving into a new deal so its a double hit. The phrase guaranteed value is a little misleading. It's the bit of the car you haven't paid for. Fixed outstanding debt might be a better way to describe it? Your fixed outstanding debt won't change regardless of any change in car values.

Unless she is towing or going off road what is the requirement for such a high powered diesel?

Unless mileage is in excess of 25-30k a year diesel offers little benefit economically.

A nice smooth petrol auto would surely be better? Unless needs dictate otherwise. Plus they are generally cheaper.

Market is shifting away from diesel and some manufacturers have already declared ceasing in 3 to 4 years time altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Thanks for the input folks. We had a look around today at a few of the models to narrow it down a bit, didn't have a chance to drive any as we were a bit tight for time. She would be picky enough in terms of the look of the car which rules out the CRV. So today we had a quick look at the Kuga, Qashqai, Tucson and Opel Crossland X.

The Kuga was her preferred of those 4, and it looks well in titanium spec. Also I see ford have updated their scrappage for 182 to 5660 off the Kuga however its base price is higher than the others. Has anyone any experience of the 1.5 diesel in the Kuga? Hopefully we'll get a chance to drive it next week but I'd be worried it might be sluggish.

Also just in terms of mileage shes constantly on the road for work and driving siblings to work/ college etc so I'd say she does about 25k miles a year, plenty of longer trips to Donegal and Dublin too so probably warrants a diesel.

The Crossland X looks well too but we've never had an Opel so I dont know much about them reliability wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Kuga is end of life model so heavily discounted which is why so many have appeared recently. Its an OK car but nothing spectacular, very average.

Qashqai is great, check out ateca and kodiaq, karoq. And sportage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭younggalway

Would love to hear from anyone that has driven these cars? What are they like with 4 adults on a long trip? Is overtaking even possible? I think because she is used to bigger engine cars for the last 20 years she is hesitant about these 1.5/1.7 etc. engines.

As I said we'll do a fee test drives next week but owner input would be much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

How about a Honda HRV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That 1.5 struggles in a Mondeo.

Advertisement