Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area man needs new shoes – asks internet for advice.

Options
  • 21-05-2018 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi. I've been mulling over purchasing some new shoes for a while now, and said I'd seek the wisdom of the crowd, as it may help me make a decision.

Requirements:
    1. comfort – for 6 hours plus rides
    2. durability – I'd expect a minimum of 3 years from them
    3. easy to clean
    4. light
    5. stiff

Shoes I've been looking at:
    1. Specialized Torch 3.0 €200
    2. S-Phyre (RC-9) €270
    3. Shimano SH-RC7 €150
    4. Northwave Extreme GT €215
    5. Mavic Cosmic Pro €200

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these, and if so whether it's been good or bad.

I was thinking of capping budget at €200-220. The S-Phyre are calling to me though, given the current pair of Shimano (6 years old) have served me so well.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

circler wrote: »
    Hi. I've been mulling over purchasing some new shoes for a while now, and said I'd seek the wisdom of the crowd, as it may help me make a decision.

Requirements:
    1. comfort – for 6 hours plus rides
    2. durability – I'd expect a minimum of 3 years from them
    3. easy to clean
    4. light
    5. stiff

Shoes I've been looking at:
    1. Specialized Torch 3.0 €200
    2. S-Phyre (RC-9) €270
    3. Shimano SH-RC7 €150
    4. Northwave Extreme GT €215
    5. Mavic Cosmic Pro €200

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of these, and if so whether it's been good or bad.

I was thinking of capping budget at €200-220. The S-Phyre are calling to me though, given the current pair of Shimano (6 years old) have served me so well.

The shimano rc7 shoes can be got for cheaper on Mantel.com €135 including free delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

The only advise I would give is to go to a good LBS to tye and but them there. Shoes are something that you need to be comfy and a good fit and no matter how good the returns policy of an online seller, you are more likely to 'put up with' something less than perfect in term so fit, and that's not an issue if you buy locally. Sure, you'll pay a decent bit more for them, but they'll last you and over the course of their useful life, you wont regret it...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

Some brands mightn't fit you or suit your foot at all. It's a risk buying online and jeopardising the point of power transfer just for the sake of a good deal. 

Look into Lake shoes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've a pair of the RC7s on the way from Mantel, to compliment a pair of R171s I already have, the 171s are fine for me up to about 3 hours then get too tight so I'v gone up a size in the RC7s (I used a pair of the shimano winter boots all last winter/spring in the bigger sizing so I'm happy enough that I'm on the right path)

The R171s will be on duty for turbo, shorter spins for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Sure, I plan on going LBS route first, but if they don't stock the ones I want then it's an online job anyway. I'm always up-front with LBS about online shopping anyway, we've a good relationship.

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    I've a pair of the RC7s on the way from Mantel, to compliment a pair of R171s I already have, the 171s are fine for me up to about 3 hours then get too tight so I'v gone up a size in the RC7s (I used a pair of the shimano winter boots all last winter/spring in the bigger sizing so I'm happy enough that I'm on the right path)

The R171s will be on duty for turbo, shorter spins for a while yet

I've a pair of R106s that have lasted well, but are gone very shabby. They are roomy, so I went down a size for a pair of DMT Libra when they were €40 on CR. They're grand like, but could be comfier, as the toe box is a much narrower than the R106s.

nilhg wrote: »
    I've a pair of the RC7s on the way from Mantel

Did these arrive, and if so what's your opinion of them so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Not sure about other brands, but I find Northwave sizing to be close to normal shoe sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Do Lidl and Aldi ever sell cycling shoes, and are they any good? Aldi's winter cycling gloves are the best I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Do Lidl and Aldi ever sell cycling shoes, and are they any good? Aldi's winter cycling gloves are the best I ever had.

They sell mtb shoes sometimes but not road shoes as far as I’ve seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

circler wrote: »
    Did these arrive, and if so what's your opinion of them so far?

Sorry, only saw now, got them, love them, rode 624KM over 2 days last weekend, no issues

Advertisement