Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flex from socket to spur.. a no no?

Options
  • 21-05-2018 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

viper959 wrote: »
    So, I'm taking a spur off a surface mounted kitchen socket to feed an exterior security light on the other side of the concrete wall.

I'll be drilling through the back of the spur box through the wall.

The socket circuit is the best option to take power from as there is no accessible light circuit.

My 2 questions:

1.Can I take 2.5mm flex from socket to spur?
    Or would one be best housing T & E in plastic trunking up the wall-to keep with regulations..

2. The black cable for the outdoor security light--I presume this is rated for the outdoors and can be pg glanded into the back of my spur box on interior kitchen wall?

Any advice welcome please
    Feeding lights from sockets is a bad idea as the socket circuits are on 20amp mcb’s and lights should be on 10. Also sockets are protected by rcds and lights do not need these in general. Also if the light was to give any trouble or get water into it and cause tripping all your kitchen sockets would trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭viper959

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I wouldnt see an issue with the above. Once the supply cable to the spur outlet is 2.5mm^2 or greater, Ideally tho soild core cable for fixed wiring. The Fuse used in the spur outlet is rated correctly and the external cable is UV rated.

I would be surprised if the manufacturers cable was not UV rated it should say on it?

The fuse in the spur outlet is to protect the cable a 3/5amp I would say. 40w fitting?

• Advertisement

3A looks fine. Any reason why you wanted to use flex? If you wanted to clip the cable a bit of NYMJ might suit the application better with better mechanical protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I don't think you need 2.5 cable there. 1.5 is surely OK?

Be really careful adding the new wires into the terminals at the back of the socket. If there are already two wires in there it can be a tight fit to get a 3rd wire in while ensuring you've a sound connection.

He has to supply the spur in a minimum of 2.5mm^2 the socket circuit is 16/20amp. You are thinking of from the spur to the light?

• Advertisement
Advertisement