Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator intermittent charge

Options
  • 21-05-2018 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi, having a problem with an alternator that charges intermittently. The battery charging light will stay on after start, but will usually go out after driving for some distance. Or it will go off after start, but then come on when driving, and then go off again some time later. Sometimes revving the engine helps get the light off. I've tried all the various multimeter tests. When the alternator is charging, the output seems OK. The connections all seem fine too. Had figured it is likely to be a faulty alternator that needs replacing, but just thought I'd check if there were any other suggestions as to what could be wrong before I try that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Marlay wrote: »
    Hi, having a problem with an alternator that charges intermittently. The battery charging light will stay on after start, but will usually go out after driving for some distance. Or it will go off after start, but then come on when driving, and then go off again some time later. Sometimes revving the engine helps get the light off. I've tried all the various multimeter tests. When the alternator is charging, the output seems OK. The connections all seem fine too. Had figured it is likely to be a faulty alternator that needs replacing, but just thought I'd check if there were any other suggestions as to what could be wrong before I try that?

Thanks.

Well it would be handy if we had a mAke and model and year ect.
    Could possibly give u a clearer insight then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Intermittent charging is usually caused by worn brushes/slip rings. Before condemning the alternator check all connections carefully paying particular attention to the smaller wires. What mileage has this alternator done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Did you check alternator belt, could be loose/worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Thanks, may as well try swapping the belt. If I end up changing the alternator it makes sense to do it anyway. There was a problem with the alternator before, about 5/6 years ago. Didn't realise it was that long! Had a garage look at it then, so reckon they had it re-conditioned at the time. Won't have done huge mileage since, but it has been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It's not really going to be the Belt (unless it's making a lot of noise). The 1st reply to your question asked what make and model it is.
    That information would probably help you more than anything.

• Advertisement

The belt was in good shape. Took the alternator off, brought it to Almax and they replaced the brushes. Hopefully sorted, except for the sheared bolt I now have to remove before I can get it back on again. Every poxy bolt was seized with rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Marlay wrote: »
    The belt was in good shape. Took the alternator off, brought it to Almax and they replaced the brushes. Hopefully sorted, except for the sheared bolt I now have to remove before I can get it back on again. Every poxy bolt was seized with rust.

What make of alternator is it? Did they comment on the condition of the slip rings? Ideally both should be replaced.

As far as I know they (Nissan) were using Hitachi alternators at the time (2000). Doesn't actually have a manufacturer on it. They didn't mention the slip rings. I could open it up and take a look I suppose. More concerned about the bolts right now. The tensioner bracket is still stuck to the alternator. Won't budge even out of the car.

Advertisement