Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OBD2 reader for Toyota Auris Hybrid

Options
  • 21-05-2018 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,

Does anyone know or can suggest what OBD2 reader I can get to plug to my Auris Hybrid?

Car is a 2016 model, and from what I could see on Amazon, most of the OBD readers are not compatible with hybrid or electric vehicles.
    I wonder if you know of a model that can work.

Thank you!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

I've never heard of these not being compatible with Hybrids. I have this one although it's not currently available https://www.amazon.co.uk/Torque-Pro-Elm-327-Bluetooth/dp/B01AC7I7BO
    Have used this on Prius and IS300h amongst other cars and works perfectly.
    I would have thought anything similar should work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 matiab

Thank you, will check that. I have seen a lot of OBD readers on Amazon where they clearly state they're not compatible with Hybrid or electric cars, so I'm not sure really.

I have a ELM327 adapter that used to work on my old Yaris, but it doesn't even connect with the Auris.
    I'll keep searching, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I have an OBDLink LX and it works fine with my Prius - not the cheapest around but it's fast (no issues logging live data for long periods), won't kill your 12V battery (can be a problem with cheap dongles left plugged in), and has a warranty. Hybrid Assistant and Torque work fine with it (Android phone).

Thank you Zilog!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

I have a new Torque Pro ELM327. Works with Torque Lite but doesn't work with EVBATMON so I bought the iCarSoft620 instead. You're welcome to try it out if you like. Cost me €22.50. What app were you planning to use?

• Advertisement

Thanks Ned!

For now I am planning to use torque lite and will definitely follow your suggestion on icarsoft620, never heard of it so I'll be happy to test.
    I used to like DashCmd with my previous car (using a wifi dongle), but it doesn't seem to work on my Auris now.
    So I bought the obdlink-lx and another wifi elm327, hoping that at least one will work fine :)

-m

@matiab: The Torque Pro ELM327 does not work with Android EvBatMon (designed for Outlander PHEV or iMiEV). You may not need an iCarSoft620 if you are not using EvBatMon. I've tried both and only iCarSoft620 works with EvBatMon. However, if Torque Lite works on the Auris, the Torque Pro ELM327 works with Torque Lite. Not sure if Torque Lite has battery monitoring capability though. If you want to try the Torque Pro with Torque Lite, I can send it on to you. Buy it off me only if it works for you. It's no use to me since I need EvBatMon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Hybrid Assistant is the most useful app for Toyota/Lexus hybrids, they tested out a few OBD2 readers with the app here: http://hybridassistant.blogspot.ie/p/obd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What types of information are you getting from these devices? Is it worth buying?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Yeah, just googled an OBD app for Auris and came across Hybrid Assistant. Best to use the recommended device with the app. The developer will always support the one he uses himself. I don't think Torque Lite is best for a hybrid. Aimed more at an ICE engine. I'd go with the LX as Zilog recommends.

• Advertisement

Depends on your car. Apps are very car-specific. And each App seems to have a preferred OBD.

EvBatMon for an Outlander. http://evpositive.com/
    Great info about the battery state, fuel tank, and loads of other nerdy info. Cost €20 for the app and €40 for the iCarSoft620. Works very well.

http://hybridassistant.blogspot.ie/p/faq.html for toyota/lexus models. Looks good - never used it. Zilog may have some feedback on how good it is.

I think the problem is that manufacturers add their own non-standard ids/codes to the ODBII standard ids and you need an app which understands the non-standard ids if you want to get the best info. Battery health is probably not part of the standard, since EVs/hybrids are relative newcomers.

Advertisement