Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ownership query

Options
  • 21-05-2018 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope that this query is in line with the rules....

Hypothetically speaking, say this scenario was in a mechanics workshop of some sort - car/lawnmower repairs..... whichever. If a business took in a job approx 2yrs ago and has been unable to contact the owner (of the lawnmower for eg.). Attempts would have been made via phone, letter, through the customers employer (as this is how the customer came to the workshop) but to no avail.

The lawnmower has been sitting in the premises. How would the business owner deal with this? Can it become his property? Can it be sold?

TIA for all and any assistance.

Twelve Bar Blues

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hi all,

The lawnmower has been sitting in the premises. How would the business owner deal with this? Can it become his property? Can it be sold?

Did the Hypothetically buiness have anything in it's T&C that might cover this, many do state something like "uncollected goods will be dispose of after xx days".

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

There was a sign up saying "Any items not collected after 1 year will be disposed of. We do not provide free storage."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's the lawnmore repair guys after 3mts as far as i'm aware, can't remember where i've seen it but I think it's somewhere in law. Could be just in the businesses T's & C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's the lawnmore repair guys after 3mts as far as i'm aware, can't remember where i've seen it but I think it's somewhere in law. Could be just in the businesses T's & C's.

If you are going to post up something like that, you should back it up by reference to law or else people are going to have to assume that it is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

I have taken legal advice. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

When an item is left in for repair or servicing, the repairer becomes entitled to a repairers lien. He can retain the item until he is paid. In the absence of express terms in the contract, it will be implied that the items will be collected within a reasonable time. The duration of a "reasonable time" is a matter to be inferred from all the circumstances. It is most unlikely any business would be expected to retain items for more than 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

When an item is left in for repair or servicing, the repairer becomes entitled to a repairers lien. .

Is that not American Law ???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Could be that the owner has died :(

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Is that not American Law ???

It is common law. Applies in all common law jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Sales of Goods act covers it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sales of Goods act covers it.
    I don;t think it does. It deals extensively with the lien that an unpaid seller of goods has over the goods, but it says nothing about liens that can be exercised by people who are given possession of the goods in order to repair them or provide some other service in relation to them.

Advertisement