Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do emergency water clamps damage/flatten pipes

Options
  • 21-05-2018 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi. I live in an old house and I share the same water meter/stop valve along with two of my neighbors. Anyhow, my neighbor is doing some renovations and occasionally has to switch off water at meter, which leaves me without water for a few hours. I have suggested that he use one of these clamps to cut of his water only on the light gauge (half inch) black wavin as it enters his property but he thinks it will flatten and crack the pipe. Is he correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Why doesn’t he put a stop valve on it?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

These are really only for emergency situations and there is a certain type of old wavin mains pipe which is very brittle and would crack should you use a clamp.
    Suggest to him that the next time he has to turn off at the mains he should fit a stopcock on the mains inside his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,744 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If it’s NG hydrodare, yes the clamp will work. As said above, there is s brittle Wavin pipe that was out years ago. It’s more dark grey than black.
    I’ve clamped several pipes in my time. One of the best pieces of kit in the toolbox. I’ve never had a pipe crack or damage leak from clamping

Advertisement