Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on best paint for interior doors

Options
  • 21-05-2018 7:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I have recently purchased some new doors, architrave and door stops which are all coming primed from the factory. (one coat only required)

I have sanded back the door frames and primed them with BIN.
    The carpenter is coming this week to fit the doors and architrave.
    I would like to have the door frames painted before the door stop and architrave is fitted but would like some advice on the type of paint to choose. The paint i put on the door frame will be the same paint i plan to use on the doors and architrave. I will get a painter in for the doors are architrave but want to paint the door frame to make things easier for them.
    I do not want to use a gloss paint so my question is what type of paint should i use and should this be put on with a roller and if so, what type of roller.
    The paint will be white.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

I was told by a pro-painter friend that Colortrend paint although expensive is the best trim paint to go for.

I was applying to new door frames and skirting which was primed. The door frames were tinted yellow though so I did apply a coat of Colortrend undercoat to them before applying finishing coats. I'm no expert but I know BIN can sometimes 'flash through' so maybe you might need to do the same.

I went with white Satinwood but if you prefer less glossy than that then you can go Eggshell. Bear in mind that there's a tradeoff though with ease of cleaning and being hard-wearing.

I also hoped to only need a single coat but my friend told me I would need 2 finish coats and he was right. Just didn't look right after a single coat.

He also advised me to use a good stiff brush for the moulded parts along with a microfibre sleeve on 4-inch roller and this gave good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

depends if you want oil or water based. Water based - I use Fleetwood Advanced. Oil based - Dulux. Paint should be applied with a 4" mohair roller not a sponge one. The sponge leaves a finish like orange peel. Mohair will leave a finish closest to spray that you are going to get ( Oil based is tougher but yellows over time. water based stays white for longer.

Advertisement