Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak from chimney crack

Options
  • 21-05-2018 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭

I have an external chimney brace and there is a crack across it which is leaking black stuff and staining the wall.

What is the cause and the solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Picture added.

451239.jpg

Ignore the gas line at the bottom, we just didn't get around to removing it but we removed the line inside and just use an open fire, not very efficient I know but it's what we've got!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have an external chimney brace and there is a crack across it which is leaking black stuff and staining the wall.

What is the cause and the solution?

Black is likely soot/tar escaping from the flue.
    The two cracks look as if the chimney was damaged. Was there a fire in it at any stage?
    Have you inspected the inner roof structures beside the chimney?

Other alternative is some kind of run off from the roof
    What is the long grass like stuff around the metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

It looks like soot to me an as was already mentioned it may have been caused by a chimney fire or a badly constructed chimney.
    Removing the liner was a mistake.
    one solution is to replace the liner and get a stove which is much more efficient.

I would recommend getting it examined by a professional chimney cleaner that has cameras to see exactly what has happened before you do anything

Black is likely soot/tar escaping from the flue.
    The two cracks look as if the chimney was damaged. Was there a fire in it at any stage?
    Have you inspected the inner roof structures beside the chimney?

Other alternative is some kind of run off from the roof
    What is the long grass like stuff around the metal?

No fire in the chimney in my time, we've lived here 6 years.

Haven't inspected anything as yet. I always assumed it was the H cowl that was the problem and that the mixture of soot and rain was running out of the bottom of the H. I don't remember having the issue before we put that cowl on a few years back. But it was only when I took that picture that I copped on that the black stuff only seems to come from the crack as opposed to from the top down.

The grass like stuff is the cable ties that are holding the cowl on. We get savage wind up here so it has come loose a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d wonder if the extra force from the wind catching on the vowel has cracked the chimney through.

I expect that the top section of the chimney is barely sitting there and worry that a serious gust of wind will knock it.

I think you should get someone up there to inspect ASAP. I think the chimney needs stripping back down and rebuilding.

• Advertisement

gillad wrote: »
    Removing the liner was a mistake.
    one solution is to replace the liner and get a stove which is much more efficient.

I didn't remove the liner. The previous owners had a gas fire hence the fittings at the bottom of the wall. We removed the line (not liner) inside the house so we could light the fire.

We have considered a stove and may fit one in the future but not at the minute. Don't have a back boiler either sadly.

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d wonder if the extra force from the wind catching on the vowel has cracked the chimney through.

I expect that the top section of the chimney is barely sitting there and worry that a serious gust of wind will knock it.

I think you should get someone up there to inspect ASAP. I think the chimney needs stripping back down and rebuilding.

I'm pretty sure that crack has been present since we got here. I'll certainly get someone out to check it out though.

I didn't remove the liner. The previous owners had a gas fire hence the fittings at the bottom of the wall. We removed the line (not liner) inside the house so we could light the fire.

We have considered a stove and may fit one in the future but not at the minute. Don't have a back boiler either sadly.

ok i thought you meant liner.
    I have another idea that is a bit hard to explain but it may be the cowl that is causing the problem.I have built plenty of chimneys so I know exactly what can happen.
    The cowl will cause a build up of soot and this soot mixed with rain may run down the outside of the flue.it may then get into the chimney at the chimney cap and get into the chimney filling(sand/limemixture).it can then move down through the filling and down the inside of the blockwork.it will come out if there is a crack and you have a crack.a lot has to happen for this to occur but it is possible.

can you get a ladder an go up and check to see if the chimney cap is in good condition and to see if any soot is getting in

Don't light a fire in it before you get it inspected.

The whole chimney looks short I though they should be above the house roofline for proper draw, otherwise the smoke and soot are not extracted as efficiently as it could?

The whole chimney looks short I though they should be above the house roofline for proper draw, otherwise the smoke and soot are not extracted as efficiently as it could?
    Never had a problem with draw, we live on a hillside and get constant wind.

• Advertisement

gillad wrote: »
    can you get a ladder an go up and check to see if the chimney cap is in good condition and to see if any soot is getting in
    That's what father in laws are for... Lol

That's what father in laws are for... Lol

ha ha..get him on the job so

Don't light a fire in it before you get it inspected.

if that chimney was built above the roof line it would be very unsafe and would come down in a storm....its recommended to go above the roofline for draw but it not always possible

I've sent a message to the chimney cleaner, due a clean out anyway but I'll speak to him about this issue too.  Also going to get the FIL to investigate.

Getting the house painted soon and there's no point doing that while the chimney is still piddling down the side of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

I am not an expert but I remember that gas lined flues are not suitable for fires. If the original liner was only installed for a gas fire it may be not suitable for the temperatures of a real fire and when you light a fire it would have killed the old liner and now there is damage being done to the stacks block work.

My take on this would be you need the flue relined with a flexible liner but also the stack checked for structural integrity.

Only then can you start addressing the black mess (Soot) that will continue to get washed out the blockwork from the rain

I've sent a message to the chimney cleaner, due a clean out anyway but I'll speak to him about this issue too.  Also going to get the FIL to investigate.

Getting the house painted soon and there's no point doing that while the chimney is still piddling down the side of the wall.

Get a qualified trades person to look at what is going on.
    The heat of the chimney could be transferring into your wooden roof at the crack line. If the structure is compromised and you end up with a chimney fire, the whole roof could be on fire before you realise what is happening.

A few more pictures taken this morning, note the delightful Donegal sky...

I notice another small crack on the other side too. :(

451259.png

451258.png

From the condition of the flashing its either poor construction or heat damage.

From the condition of the flashing its either poor construction or heat damage.

I'd be surprised if it was poor construction as it was built by a builder on his family land for himself to live in. He only moved out after a few years because his new wife didn't like living in the countryside.

That said the insulation on the underground pipes for the oil heating is terrible so maybe he went el cheapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd be surprised if it was poor construction as it was built by a builder on his family land for himself to live in. He only moved out after a few years because his new wife didn't like living in the countryside.

That said the insulation on the underground pipes for the oil heating is terrible so maybe he went el cheapo!

A bad builder cant do a good job even for himself..

• Advertisement
Advertisement