Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Awning - ARB or Similar

• 20-05-2018 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend an awning, either ARB or similar please?
    Either local retailer or online.

I'll be mounting it on the side of T4 but in such a way that'll leave it detachable when not needed.
    The roll out type awnings, while I'd happily have one, tend to be much more expensive.... unless there are more cost effective options out there that I'm not aware of.
    I already have a larger drive away awning but as we tend to only overnight it in a place and then move on they tend to be too much time & work as well as taking up loads of space when packed away inside the van.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Might not be what you are looking for but we bought a Vango Kela Drive away tent awning and it totally changed our camping experience. Absolutely fantastic addition and then during the day if you are heading off somewhere you can throw all your stuff in the tent (chairs/tables etc) and they are relatively safe.
    Full setup is <10 Min and drive away connection and disconnection is maybe 1 min once you park in the right spot when you return. (i use pegs to mark the wheel positions)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Thanks for the reply Nailer!
    I went with a DIY effort in the end that'll allow me to use my DD tarp connected to some stainless circular skyhooks mounted to the side of the T4 with some Amazon purchased extendable poles and two guy ropes.
    I have a driveaway awning already but its the space it takes up inside when travelling that I want to avoid while wildcamping without returning to the same spot.
    Not my van below, but something along these lines.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3q1sg77SIcH2FDlgu-gxrd4qZhVsUIKonMPjA0VBh_9vTd0is1Q

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

I went with a DIY effort in the end that'll allow me to use my DD tarp connected to some stainless circular skyhooks

Did you install the skyhooks with your glass hammer and long stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Did you install the skyhooks with your glass hammer and long stand?

I always prefer to use the Skirting Board Ladder for this type of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

"I went with a DIY effort in the end that'll allow me to use my DD tarp connected to some stainless circular skyhooks mounted to the side of the T4 '

That sounds great.
    I'd like to try similar with my van. Any chance of a photo of your set up particularly the van attachments. I have a tarp and also 2 poles from a tent that would do the job.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sharon.1969

Hi Anyone replace the velcro on their ARB awning? Any other options than the velcro as it doesnt last? Thanks

Advertisement