Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tricky tight turn query

Options
  • 20-05-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some info on the best and safest procedure here.

I'm coming left off a major roundabout in third gear. Very shortly after leaving the roundabout there is a very sharp left turn into a gym car park. Once I have turned into the car park there is immediately another very sharp left turn abruptly ending in a ramp and a security gate (that reacts slowly so I'd need to approach at a crawl).

I think these turns should be taken in first gear, but the space between the roundabout and the turn seems too brief to slow down enough for first gear without involving dramatic braking. The road before the roundabout is such speed that anything less than third gear, and the car is roaring at me.

I've attempted to make the turn into the gym in second gear several times and I either felt it was too fast coming around the turn to be safely in control, or it conked out on me as I crawled up to the security gate.

Does anyone have tips or videos of this sort of situation? I feel like my only choices are to take the major roundabout in second gear and ignore the car roaring... Or slow down dramatically directly after the roundabout and delay/cause hazard to traffic coming off it behind me.

Maybe it's just because I'm a learner and haven't gotten the confidence down yet to be quick enough on tight turns but this spot frequently causes difficulties. Any tips or videos would be much appreciated so I can practice the correct method.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,211 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the car is roaring then you are going too fast for the gear you are in? Or am i misunderstanding you? If the left turn after the roundabout is that close then do the roundabout in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What is your supervising driver suggesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Jade182 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just looking for some info on the best and safest procedure here.

I'm coming left off a major roundabout in third gear. Very shortly after leaving the roundabout there is a very sharp left turn into a gym car park. Once I have turned into the car park there is immediately another very sharp left turn abruptly ending in a ramp and a security gate (that reacts slowly so I'd need to approach at a crawl).

I think these turns should be taken in first gear, but the space between the roundabout and the turn seems too brief to slow down enough for first gear without involving dramatic braking. The road before the roundabout is such speed that anything less than third gear, and the car is roaring at me.

I've attempted to make the turn into the gym in second gear several times and I either felt it was too fast coming around the turn to be safely in control, or it conked out on me as I crawled up to the security gate.

Does anyone have tips or videos of this sort of situation? I feel like my only choices are to take the major roundabout in second gear and ignore the car roaring... Or slow down dramatically directly after the roundabout and delay/cause hazard to traffic coming off it behind me.

Maybe it's just because I'm a learner and haven't gotten the confidence down yet to be quick enough on tight turns but this spot frequently causes difficulties. Any tips or videos would be much appreciated so I can practice the correct method.

Drive 3rd to first turn , drop to 2nd to take the turn . It would have to be wide and clear visually to be that close to major roundabout . Next turn should be fine in 2nd as well . 2nd gear is around 2.5 m/s in most cars before it cuts out. At the gate stop when you get to it and drop to first then go. You only need to drop to first if you stop the car fully as 2nd can take it until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

What is your supervising driver suggesting?

Well when he's driving his own car, he goes from third on the roundabout to neutral, then coasts into the tight turn, finally putting into 1st before the ramp.
    That works for him as a fully licensed driver but I'd be failed if I did that in a test! I'm wanting to find out the safest and best way that I'm supposed to do it.

If the car is roaring then you are going too fast for the gear you are in? Or am i misunderstanding you? If the left turn after the roundabout is that close then do the roundabout in second.

Hi, if I take the roundabout in second gear, it's roaring because it's a large roundabout off a major road and if I was to slow down enough for second I'd be way under the speed limit. My car is a tiny engine size so I'm suspecting either that's the reason for the roaring, or else something is wrong with the gearbox.

• Advertisement

Well when he's driving his own car, he goes from third on the roundabout to neutral, then coasts into the tight turn, finally putting into 1st before the ramp.
    That works for him as a fully licensed driver but I'd be failed if I did that in a test! I'm wanting to find out the safest and best way that I'm supposed to do it.

what mickuhaha said sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not the best supervising driver, they should at least be showing you a good example when driving. Do they correct any of your driving?

Can you do the junction with an ADI? They at least will show you the correct gears to use, it sounds like you need to block change down.

mickuhaha wrote: »
    Drive 3rd to first turn , drop to 2nd to take the turn . It would have to be wide and clear visually to be that close to major roundabout . Next turn should be fine in 2nd as well . 2nd gear is around 2.5 m/s in most cars before it cuts out. At the gate stop when you get to it and drop to first then go. You only need to drop to first if you stop the car fully as 2nd can take it until that point.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've a feeling there might be something amiss with my gearbox then because it cuts out at second gear when I'm taking that corner and chugs badly in traffic where my instructors car is fine.

Also the turn into the car park is unfortunately not wide and clear, even being near the major roundabout. It's a narrow opening between hedges with pedestrians using the same entrance as cars so it's absolutely nerve wrecking.

I genuinely think I need to take the corner in first gear to be in proper control and be able to react to hazards. Perhaps I just need to get used to quickly moving down the gears after the roundabout..

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've a feeling there might be something amiss with my gearbox then because it cuts out at second gear when I'm taking that corner and chugs badly in traffic where my instructors car is fine.

Also the turn into the car park is unfortunately not wide and clear, even being near the major roundabout. It's a narrow opening between hedges with pedestrians using the same entrance as cars so it's absolutely nerve wrecking.

I genuinely think I need to take the corner in first gear to be in proper control and be able to react to hazards. Perhaps I just need to get used to quickly moving down the gears after the roundabout..

you should never be dropping to first to take a corner

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not the best supervising driver, they should at least be showing you a good example when driving. Do they correct any of your driving?

Can you do the junction with an ADI? They at least will show you the correct gears to use, it sounds like you need to block change down.

Hi, I did do loads of lessons with an ADI but only encountered a turn this severe once during my lessons (which I was advised to take in first gear - some folk might know the turn from the Finglas test route). I do intend to take more lessons for my second attempt at the test, but in the meantime am trying to build confidence by practicing driving everywhere.

My accompanying driver does correct some of my driving and assists me if I feel nervous or overwhelmed, but at the end of the day he's doing me a favour being in the car while I practice what the instructor taught me and he's not being paid to/not qualified to be my instructor. So I can't go demanding he be a better example of driving really, it's hard enough to get someone to have the time to come out with me to let me practice you know?

• Advertisement

My instructor advised I take a severe corner during my first attempt at the test in first gear?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Can you post a link to google maps of this junction?

I would be interested to see the exact junction the OP is speaking of. But I would never say never in these cases. It sounds like this is an a very slow entry to a car park, which could warrant 1st.

It's often a good starting point for new drivers to say, "never use 1st gear unless starting off." But the reality is quite different in normal driving.

My instructor advised I take a severe corner during my first attempt at the test in first gear?

ask your instructor again but i've been driving a very long time and i've never encountered a corner so severe that you need to take it in first. You can be at walking pace in 2nd and you should not cut out.

I would be interested to see the exact junction the OP is speaking of. But I would never say never in these cases. It sounds like this is an a very slow entry to a car park, which could warrant 1st.

It's often a good starting point for new drivers to say, "never use 1st gear unless starting off." But the reality is quite different in normal driving.

I would be interested where it is too. This a corner i take on a regular basis. The google maps image is old so i have drawn the current corner in red. When you turn left into the road the image is facing you basically go back on yourself. I still take it in second comfortably.

junction.png

This is said to new drivers as not all cars come with a synchromesh in first and reverse meaning that the car won't change into these gears easily without the car stoped.

I would stick with my post unless you feel you can't control the car in 2nd. Stop if needed and drop to first just make sure you don't slow down to fast and get hit in the rear. Maybe go a little wide on the main road ie keep to the white line as you slow ( don't forget your indicator) before taking it in second. I think you just need some experience. You should be in the right gear before the corner so that your concentration is on the turn. Hope this helps. Anyone else driven this turn.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

There’s no issue in dropping to 1st gear IF you drop to the correct speed for it and release the clutch smoothly. If you drive a diesel car especially it can be a great help. I have my pupils turning into our test centre in 1st every day and on every test and it is NOT an issue for the car nor tester.

I've attached a screenshot of the map from above of the turn and street view images, I hope they load.

The red line is where I'm coming from. The street view with the map marker is the first turn into the car park.

Thank you for everyone's replies so far. I think I do just need more practice at taking tight turns. I cut out again yesterday and it was so frustrating I ended up getting my accompanying driver to take over. It's a nerve wracking experience learning to drive!

This is the immediate left after entering the car park and the security gate.

This is the immediate left after entering the car park and the security gate.

that doesn't look particularly tight to me. Get your driving instructor to go down that road on your next lesson and ask them what they think.

• Advertisement

I've attached a screenshot of the map from above of the turn and street view images, I hope they load.

The red line is where I'm coming from. The street view with the map marker is the first turn into the car park.

Thank you for everyone's replies so far. I think I do just need more practice at taking tight turns. I cut out again yesterday and it was so frustrating I ended up getting my accompanying driver to take over. It's a nerve wracking experience learning to drive!

is that the one in blanchardstown?

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Ben+Dunne+Gyms/@53.3925066,-6.3859144,18.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x9eeb636c6a8f5a0a!8m2!3d53.3922837!4d-6.3858807

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So this is the spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/5dgkTGURh6p

Let's ignore the roundabout for a second. It is a good way away from the first left turn and should have little consequence on this discussion.

Indicate left off the main road, slow, put the car in 2nd gear and proceed around the turn to the left.
    You have now completed the first left turn. You should be moving slowly in 2nd for a short time. And slowly turn left to stop at the barrier. Clutching in before the engine labours or begins to show any signs of stalling.

You will be coming to a complete stop here, there is no problem turning and clutching in at the same time when coming to a stop. I see no reason to need 1st in this instance as you are coming to a complete stop.

So this is the spot:

https://goo.gl/maps/5dgkTGURh6p

Let's ignore the roundabout for a second. It is a good way away from the first left turn and should have little consequence on this discussion.

Indicate left off the main road, slow, put the car in 2nd gear and proceed around the turn to the left.
    You have now completed the first left turn. You should be moving slowly in 2nd for a short time. And slowly turn left to stop at the barrier. Clutching in before the engine labours or begins to show any signs of stalling.

You will be coming to a complete stop here, there is no problem turning and clutching in at the same time when coming to a stop. I see no reason to need 1st in this instance as you are coming to a complete stop.

Thanks for the advice. I must just need more practice, I find taking that turn in second gear is too fast and when I try to gain some control the engine labours and I stall before getting to the barricade. It's so frustrating being a learner :(

That's the one

When i looked at your link i was looking at the turn after the roundabout. I didnt realise it was actually the second turn into Ben Dunnes you were talking about. It is not that the turn is tight. the problem with it is that you need to stop almost immediately after the turn but at the same time go over a speed bump. Ridiculous if you ask me. You should still be able to take it in second though.

Ask someone to drive it after the gym some day and you sit in the passenger seat. It seems you have over though the turn. You need to relax and do the steps one at a time in your own time. I know someone who did the same with a turn at a bridge . Still to this day refuses to take the turn even with full license for past 3.6 years. Maybe just practice taking left turns more around the area to get familiar with speed. Also try reversing around a corner a few times to get used to distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi, if I take the roundabout in second gear, it's roaring because it's a large roundabout off a major road and if I was to slow down enough for second I'd be way under the speed limit. My car is a tiny engine size so I'm suspecting either that's the reason for the roaring, or else something is wrong with the gearbox.

Hi,

I think your basic problem is that you are under pressure taking the first turn. Going too fast, afraid of impeding the traffic behind.

With that turn close to the roundabout following traffic may assume you have simply forgot to cancel your indicator. Therefore you must inform them, by your speed, that you are in fact taking the next turn.

Therefore exiting the roundabout, indicate again if your indicator cancels, slow,. brake, brake down to 2nd gear speed, then change into 2nd, foot off clutch, hand back on the steering wheel.ad have all completed about a quarter car length back from the junction. All done smoothly and calmly.

Now, no gas and you will roll smoothly around the corner and now be well prepared to deal with the next few obstacles

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I'll give it more practice and hopefully overcome the frustration.

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I'll give it more practice and hopefully overcome the frustration.

You'll be grand. I remember stalling the car while trying to turn right onto the malahide road from the tonlegee road. And i stalled it. And i stalled it. 5 or 6 times before i got it moving. All the while other cars beeping me and feeling like a fool. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Once I have turned into the car park there is immediately another very sharp left turn abruptly ending in a ramp and a security gate (that reacts slowly so I'd need to approach at a crawl)....
    Don't try getting through the barrier without stopping. If you drive up to the barrier with the intention of stopping then you won't be as bothered by the lack of momentum.
    Once you stop at the barrier - select first and when the barrier is raised off you go again.

Advertisement