Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collar-and-elbow clubs?

Options
  • 20-05-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to take up traditional Irish wrestling (coraíocht), aka "Collar-and-elbow".

Are there any clubs in the Cork area?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

As far as know traditional Irish wrestling died out in the 19th century, It would be great to see it revived but we do have a vbrant grappling scence thats connected to the mma bjj scence.

Any mma club will have grappling classes,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

As laoch na mona said, it doesn't exist any more. That said, grappling is grappling is grappling - with variations due to rulesets, attire (gi or no-gi), and some regional stylistic variations. Hence the wikipedia page for collar and elbow lists the throws with reference to most similar judo or wrestling techniques.

There are a couple BJJ, Judo and Sambo clubs in the Cork area. You could find the one with the most Irish members, throw in a cupla focail, and start calling it coraíocht if you really wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You'll only find collar and elbow in the states, and even that it would be a struggle. Abraham Lincoln was a practitioner IIRC.
    Best bet in Ireland for similar jacket wrestling is probably judo or sambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

Perhaps some of the Medieval sword clubs might know of somewhere?
    I know of some guys who were covering some of the stag wrestling a few years back - so it might be worth a try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking to take up traditional Irish wrestling (coraht), aka "Collar-and-elbow".

Are there any clubs in the Cork area?

Cheers

In Cork the only club which comes to mind would be Muskerry Judo Club, they've a few members also training/competing in Sambo (Lloyd Manning).

They'd be highly recommended, outside of that I can't help you. Sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement