Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inspections & Breeding from a mare that is making a noise

Options
  • 20-05-2018 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello,

would love to hear people's opinions on breeding from a mare that has just been found to make a noise in her breathing?

she's a three year-old filly with class one parents on each side and a lovely model with great conformation. I was hoping to bring her to inspections but now I'm not sure if I should even do that?

Interested to know what folks think trying to decide what my next steps could be with this mare.

Many thanks, 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What's the noise from OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 rollingrock1

What's the noise from OP?

Hiya, just like a slight whistling sound when trotting around and/cantering.

Basically what you'd hear from a horse when it's wind is gone I guess. She's just three this year and unbroken so bit disappointed she's showing this now.

Hoping to figure out what I can do with her now...had hoped to bring her to the Irish Draught mare inspections but don't want to waste my time going if a noise will automatically rule her out.

thanks,
    Fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There are a few common problems that cause noises when the horse is moving. Two are RLN (Recurrent Laryngeal Neuropathy, or Roaring) or DDSP (Dorsal Displacement of the Soft Palate)

RLN is caused by a partial paralysis of the windpipe in the larynx, which means not as much air gets through. There is a surgery for it if it's bad enough, and you can afford it. However, it would be for the sake of the mare. As far as they can find, there is a genetic component to this.

DDSP is where the soft palate gets displaced and covers the gap between the windpipe and food pipe when the horse exhales. There doesn't seem to be a genetic component to this but it does severely affect performance.

Have you spoken to your vet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

My advice would be get her scoped. Making a noise in trot is unusual enough so it should be very obvious what the problem is.
    Better to spend the cost of the scope and get an answer before putting time and money into inspection prep .
    Veterinary inspection is part of the process and whistling would be classed as an unsoundness.
    As far as breeding her . Thats a risk only you can decide to take. If she was an older mare with a super performance record I might think about it but a 3yld would have to be super special.
    Or if she was the last of a good traditional bloodline.

There are a few common problems that cause noises when the horse is moving. Two are RLN (Recurrent Laryngeal Neuropathy, or Roaring) or DDSP (Dorsal Displacement of the Soft Palate)

RLN is caused by a partial paralysis of the windpipe in the larynx, which means not as much air gets through. There is a surgery for it if it's bad enough, and you can afford it. However, it would be for the sake of the mare. As far as they can find, there is a genetic component to this.

DDSP is where the soft palate gets displaced and covers the gap between the windpipe and food pipe when the horse exhales. There doesn't seem to be a genetic component to this but it does severely affect performance.

Have you spoken to your vet?

Great, thanks so much for the information. I've discussed it with my partner and next steps will be to get her scoped to confirm exactly what we're dealing with and to which grade.

Thanks very much for your response though, it's good to be well informed before making a plan.

Regards,
    Fiona

• Advertisement

Esroh wrote: »
    My advice would be get her scoped. Making a noise in trot is unusual enough so it should be very obvious what the problem is.
    Better to spend the cost of the scope and get an answer before putting time and money into inspection prep .
    Veterinary inspection is part of the process and whistling would be classed as an unsoundness.
    As far as breeding her . Thats a risk only you can decide to take. If she was an older mare with a super performance record I might think about it but a 3yld would have to be super special.
    Or if she was the last of a good traditional bloodline.

Yeah, makes sense. We're going to get her scoped first and take it from there. Thanks so much for your input, it's always good to get extra opinions etc

Advertisement