Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrases you think you invented but probably didnt

Options
  • 20-05-2018 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Ever drive a taxi and have an annoying deck calling you mr taxi man in an annoying way. I think I was the first to do that.
    Today I farted and told the wife I left her with a dolly. It was a Parton gift as I left the room.
    It’ll catch on.
    Ever reckon you came up with something that caught on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Good luck with this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A dolly is a Patron gift?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

AllForIt wrote: »

A parting gift

Drop a fart and leave the room/lift/funeral car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's a paddlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Dilly dilly

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Dilly dilly

Never heard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Do people say when someone is milking something that they are "making a meal up of that?" My friend and I always use to say that but I'm not sure if it's commonly used?

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Do people say when someone is milking something that they are "making a meal up of that? My friend and I always use to say that but I'm not sure if it's commonly used?

Making a meal of it would be a historical thing. I remember footballers from the 90s being accused of it when feigning injuries. I’d say milking it is a newer phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Making a meal of it would be a historical thing. I remember footballers from the 90s being accused of it when feigning injuries. I’d say milking it is a newer phrase.

We use to call someone like that a "thriller" like "what a thriller making a meal up of it." :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Do people say when someone is milking something that they are "making a meal up of that?" My friend and I always use to say that but I'm not sure if it's commonly used?

Im sure I heard something similar. For the life of me I can't think what....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

Ever drive a taxi and have an annoying deck calling you mr taxi man in an annoying way. I think I was the first to do that.
    Today I farted and told the wife I left her with a dolly. It was a Parton gift as I left the room.
    It’ll catch on.
    Ever reckon you came up with something that caught on?

I can resist anything but temptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

AllForIt wrote: »

Get with the programme.

A dolly is a safety device which is primarily used to let fresh air into buses

Or so Conor McGregor told me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I knew a lad who honestly thought he had invented the word "****ehawk". It took approximately 4 seconds of googling to prove it was used decades (if not centuries) before he was even born.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

My father referred to someone as a "dilix" ... It appears to be a cross between a dick and a bollix... Never heard anyone use it only him. Thought it was kinda funny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Cool cool,

policarp wrote: »
    I can resist anything but temptation.

I may be mistaken but I think that was said by Oscar Wilde one night at a CrossFit class.

Advertisement